Old 04-07-2013, 04:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default in the beginning, fruit trees

In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"songbird" wrote in message

the questions a from seeds, time to
actual production for: apples,

At a guess, I'd say we've had ours grown from seed produce fruit between 4-6
years old.

peaches,

2-3 years, but these have all been the sort of floosey flowering peaches
that put on a stunnign floral display in Spring. The side benefit of these
peaches (which are supposeldy not for eating) has been that the ghastly
green looking small peaches they produce are very edible and with a superbly
flavoured white flesh.

Had a good illustration today of the benefits of odd-colored fruit. I'm
a sweet cherry addict living on the hairy edge of ability to grow the
things. Had some fruit this year - red tree picked clean by marauders
(presumably winged) but the yellow tree was largely untouched.

Songbird, you might also want to put some nut trees in your thinking
cap. Then again, those often just end up being squirrel food, even if
you try to make them not be.