Old 09-07-2013, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Tomatoes with curling leaves

Terry Coombs wrote:

I noticed yesterday that some of my tomato plants have something unusual
going on . The lower leaves on a couple of my plants have turned a darker
green and started curling up toward the top side . They feel strange to the
touch too , kinda "leathery" for lack of a better word .
Anybody got any ideas what I might have going on here ? Plants are in
"virgin" soil , used to be oak forest . Ground was broken for the first time
this spring , plants were put in holes with a 50/50 mix of dirt and
manure/compost , a tbsp of epsom salts in the bottom of each hole . 3 weeks
after planting about 3 wks ago now I applied a light feeding of 13/13/13 .
THis problem has just shown up in the last few days and I'd like to nip it
asap . They've all but one got tomatoes on them .

every thing i'm seeing says that this is caused
by the plant top growing faster than the roots
(many reasons) and that the plant should grow out
of it.

has there been uneven weather lately (too much
rain, not enough sun, or vice versa) or are you
watering regularly if it is too hot and dry?

songbird