Old 08-07-2013, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomatoes with curling leaves

I noticed yesterday that some of my tomato plants have something unusual
going on . The lower leaves on a couple of my plants have turned a darker
green and started curling up toward the top side . They feel strange to the
touch too , kinda "leathery" for lack of a better word .
Anybody got any ideas what I might have going on here ? Plants are in
"virgin" soil , used to be oak forest . Ground was broken for the first time
this spring , plants were put in holes with a 50/50 mix of dirt and
manure/compost , a tbsp of epsom salts in the bottom of each hole . 3 weeks
after planting about 3 wks ago now I applied a light feeding of 13/13/13 .
THis problem has just shown up in the last few days and I'd like to nip it
asap . They've all but one got tomatoes on them .
--
Snag

Old 08-07-2013, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 07:20:18 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

I noticed yesterday that some of my tomato plants have something unusual
going on . The lower leaves on a couple of my plants have turned a darker
green and started curling up toward the top side . They feel strange to the
touch too , kinda "leathery" for lack of a better word .
Anybody got any ideas what I might have going on here ? Plants are in
"virgin" soil , used to be oak forest . Ground was broken for the first time
this spring , plants were put in holes with a 50/50 mix of dirt and
manure/compost , a tbsp of epsom salts in the bottom of each hole . 3 weeks
after planting about 3 wks ago now I applied a light feeding of 13/13/13 .
THis problem has just shown up in the last few days and I'd like to nip it
asap . They've all but one got tomatoes on them .

Try this site for information.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/v...roblem-solver/

Lots of pictures.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 08-07-2013, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

I noticed yesterday that some of my tomato plants have something unusual
going on . The lower leaves on a couple of my plants have turned a darker
green and started curling up toward the top side . They feel strange to the
touch too , kinda "leathery" for lack of a better word .
Anybody got any ideas what I might have going on here ? Plants are in
"virgin" soil , used to be oak forest . Ground was broken for the first time
this spring , plants were put in holes with a 50/50 mix of dirt and
manure/compost , a tbsp of epsom salts in the bottom of each hole . 3 weeks
after planting about 3 wks ago now I applied a light feeding of 13/13/13 .
THis problem has just shown up in the last few days and I'd like to nip it
asap . They've all but one got tomatoes on them .

Sometimes the problem comes with the plant , or the seeds. Hopefully,
the site that "The Cook" gave you will identify your problem, and then
you can take steps to address it.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Monday, July 8, 2013 8:20:18 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
I noticed yesterday that some of my tomato plants have something unusual

going on . The lower leaves on a couple of my plants have turned a darker

green and started curling up toward the top side . They feel strange to the

touch too , kinda "leathery" for lack of a better word .

Anybody got any ideas what I might have going on here ? Plants are in

"virgin" soil , used to be oak forest . Ground was broken for the first time

this spring , plants were put in holes with a 50/50 mix of dirt and

manure/compost , a tbsp of epsom salts in the bottom of each hole . 3 weeks

after planting about 3 wks ago now I applied a light feeding of 13/13/13 .

THis problem has just shown up in the last few days and I'd like to nip it

asap . They've all but one got tomatoes on them .

--

Snag

Have you checked the soil pH? Tomatoes like 6.0-6.8, slightly acidic. Since you're planting in a former oak forest, the soil might be too acidic for them.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

I noticed yesterday that some of my tomato plants have something unusual
going on . The lower leaves on a couple of my plants have turned a darker
green and started curling up toward the top side . They feel strange to the
touch too , kinda "leathery" for lack of a better word .
Anybody got any ideas what I might have going on here ? Plants are in
"virgin" soil , used to be oak forest . Ground was broken for the first time
this spring , plants were put in holes with a 50/50 mix of dirt and
manure/compost , a tbsp of epsom salts in the bottom of each hole . 3 weeks
after planting about 3 wks ago now I applied a light feeding of 13/13/13 .
THis problem has just shown up in the last few days and I'd like to nip it
asap . They've all but one got tomatoes on them .

every thing i'm seeing says that this is caused
by the plant top growing faster than the roots
(many reasons) and that the plant should grow out
of it.

has there been uneven weather lately (too much
rain, not enough sun, or vice versa) or are you
watering regularly if it is too hot and dry?

songbird

Old 09-07-2013, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"songbird" wrote in message
Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

We've had some really hot/dry weather , and I've been watering when the
soil is dry abt 1/4" deep . Cook - I checked out your link , nothing there
that resembles what I'm seeing , but lotsa good info bookmarked thanks !
Tomorrow or wednesday I need to run into town on some other business , I
think I'll run a sample leaf past the county extension office - along with a
soil sample for testing . Could very well be a ph problem as Pavel314
suggested .
--
Snag

Old 09-07-2013, 07:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

Terry, i used the following search in google and
found several results:

"tomato plant darker green leaves curling"

give that a try...

songbird
Old 09-07-2013, 11:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
I noticed yesterday that some of my tomato plants have something unusual
going on . The lower leaves on a couple of my plants have turned a darker
green and started curling up toward the top side . They feel strange to
the touch too , kinda "leathery" for lack of a better word .
Anybody got any ideas what I might have going on here ?

Bacterial canker perhaps?

Old 09-07-2013, 12:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs said:

I noticed yesterday that some of my tomato plants have something
unusual going on . The lower leaves on a couple of my plants have turned
a darker green and started curling up toward the top side . They feel
strange to the touch too , kinda "leathery" for lack of a better word .
Anybody got any ideas what I might have going on here ? Plants are in
"virgin" soil , used to be oak forest . Ground was broken for the first time
this spring , plants were put in holes with a 50/50 mix of dirt and
manure/compost , a tbsp of epsom salts in the bottom of each hole . 3
weeks after planting about 3 wks ago now I applied a light feeding of
13/13/13 .
THis problem has just shown up in the last few days and I'd like to nip it
asap . They've all but one got tomatoes on them .

Most likely tomato leaf roll, caused by a specific gene ('wilty' gene) in
response to stress (anything from heavy fruit load to high heat or excessive
nitrogen).

Virus that cause leaf roll usually also cause the leaves to become lighter,
rather than darker green.

Herbicide damage is most likely to affect new growth and cause more
extreme
distortions.

See:
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgi...mato_leaf_roll
..html
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 09-07-2013, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Found my answer at Texas A&M's extension website ! Thanks , I seldom use
long search strings because the results are often weird but this time I
found exactly what the problem is . Conditions fit too , it was pretty wet
for a while and now we've gotten into 95 degree days with intense sun all
day .
15. Q. What causes tomato leaves to curl?

A. The exact cause of tomato leaf roll is not fully known. Tomato leaf roll
appears about the time of fruit setting. The leaflets of the older leaves on
the lower half of the tomato plant roll upward. This gives the leaflets a
cupped appearance with sometimes even the margins touching or overlapping.
The overall growth of the plant does not seem to be greatly affected and
yields are normal. This condition appears to be most common on staked and
pruned plants. It occurs when excessive rainfall or overwatering keeps the
soil too wet for too long. It is also related to intensive sunlight which
causes carbohydrates to accumulate in the leaves. Some varieties of tomatoes
are characteristically curled

--
Snag

Old 09-07-2013, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

Found my answer at Texas A&M's extension website ! Thanks , I seldom use
long search strings because the results are often weird but this time I
found exactly what the problem is . Conditions fit too , it was pretty wet
for a while and now we've gotten into 95 degree days with intense sun all
day .

you're welcome. there was another answer that included
your description of thickened/leathery leaves. to me that
the plant wasn't dropping leaves was a good sign.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 00:10:03 -0400, songbird
wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that information. I have a couple of plants that looked
like they were about dead but have perked up since we have had a few
days of no rain. We have had 6.8" of rain this month and I believe it
was close to that last month. Add that to a very cold spring that
kept me from setting out tomatoes I think I will be lucky if I get
decent crop. Oh well, there are lots of canned tomatoes in the
basement.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

.
[...]

The practical philosophy of a gardener.

"Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get"
- Mark Twain
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/