Old 09-07-2013, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ragnar Ragnar is offline

Default Can anyone put a name to this plant, please.

On 09/07/2013 20:47, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 09/07/2013 19:44, Malcolm wrote:

In article , Jeff Layman
writes
On 09/07/2013 18:54, Nick wrote:
Growing at a neighbours property. About 2m tall with small red
flowers/florets.
She is a little concerned as to what it may be and I am not blessed
with
green fingers.
Have posted a couple of (poor) pics he
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xqk9mxbpfne6ojj/v9PihDphfm

Haven't tried this before and don't know how/if it will work.

Thank you,

It would help if the flowers were in focus! However, I'll hazard a
guess at Common Figwort.

I tend to agree - Scrophularia nodosa - except that 1 metre is what the
books say about overall height.

They do, but the plant doesn't know that. I have seen it growing to
180 to 200 cm in Surrey.

I was thinking maybe a Scrophularia, but aren't the leaves wrong from
Scrophularia nodosa? OTOH, the inflorescence structure seems to be a
better match for that than for the other species.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I tend to agree - the leaves look more like Water Figwort (Scrophularia
aquatica). One sure test is whether the stems are 'winged' or merely square.
Winged suggests S. aquatica.
R.