Old 09-07-2013, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can anyone put a name to this plant, please.

Growing at a neighbours property. About 2m tall with small red
flowers/florets.
She is a little concerned as to what it may be and I am not blessed with
green fingers.
Have posted a couple of (poor) pics he
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xqk9mxbpfne6ojj/v9PihDphfm

Haven't tried this before and don't know how/if it will work.

Thank you,

Nick.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2013 18:54, Nick wrote:
Growing at a neighbours property. About 2m tall with small red
flowers/florets.
She is a little concerned as to what it may be and I am not blessed with
green fingers.
Have posted a couple of (poor) pics he
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xqk9mxbpfne6ojj/v9PihDphfm

Haven't tried this before and don't know how/if it will work.

Thank you,

It would help if the flowers were in focus! However, I'll hazard a
guess at Common Figwort.

--

Jeff
Old 09-07-2013, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2013 19:44, Malcolm wrote:

In article , Jeff Layman
writes
On 09/07/2013 18:54, Nick wrote:
Growing at a neighbours property. About 2m tall with small red
flowers/florets.
She is a little concerned as to what it may be and I am not blessed with
green fingers.
Have posted a couple of (poor) pics he
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xqk9mxbpfne6ojj/v9PihDphfm

Haven't tried this before and don't know how/if it will work.

Thank you,

It would help if the flowers were in focus! However, I'll hazard a
guess at Common Figwort.

I tend to agree - Scrophularia nodosa - except that 1 metre is what the
books say about overall height.

They do, but the plant doesn't know that. I have seen it growing to
180 to 200 cm in Surrey.

--

Jeff
Old 09-07-2013, 09:33 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post

It would help if the flowers were in focus! However, I'll hazard a
guess at Common Figwort.
[/i][/color]
I tend to agree - Scrophularia nodosa - except that 1 metre is what the
books say about overall height.

--
Malcolm
Yes, agreed, Scrophularia nodosa. Same family as foxglove.

There aren't many flowers that particular shade of red, and the leaves are right, as is the size of flowers and the overall growth pattern.
__________________
Old 09-07-2013, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2013 18:54, Nick wrote:
Growing at a neighbours property. About 2m tall with small red
flowers/florets.
She is a little concerned as to what it may be and I am not blessed
with
green fingers.
Have posted a couple of (poor) pics he
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xqk9mxbpfne6ojj/v9PihDphfm

Haven't tried this before and don't know how/if it will work.

Thank you,

It would help if the flowers were in focus! However, I'll hazard a
guess at Common Figwort.

I tend to agree - Scrophularia nodosa - except that 1 metre is what the
books say about overall height.

They do, but the plant doesn't know that. I have seen it growing to
180 to 200 cm in Surrey.

I was thinking maybe a Scrophularia, but aren't the leaves wrong from
Scrophularia nodosa? OTOH, the inflorescence structure seems to be a
better match for that than for the other species.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 09-07-2013, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Jeff Layman
writes
On 09/07/2013 18:54, Nick wrote:
Growing at a neighbours property. About 2m tall with small red
flowers/florets.
She is a little concerned as to what it may be and I am not blessed with
green fingers.
Have posted a couple of (poor) pics he
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xqk9mxbpfne6ojj/v9PihDphfm

Haven't tried this before and don't know how/if it will work.

Thank you,

It would help if the flowers were in focus! However, I'll hazard a guess
at Common Figwort.

I tend to agree - Scrophularia nodosa - except that 1 metre is what the
books say about overall height.

--
Malcolm

Gets to nearly 1.8M here if in a damp place

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 09-07-2013, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2013 18:54, Nick wrote:
[...]

I tend to agree - the leaves look more like Water Figwort (Scrophularia
aquatica). One sure test is whether the stems are 'winged' or merely square.
Winged suggests S. aquatica.
R.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2013 18:54, Nick wrote:
[...]

I think the leaf of S. nodosa isn't far off, but looking at the first
photo the plant seems to be taller than 2m - maybe 2. 5m or more. That
would make S. nodosa very unlikely.

Seems to me now that it is far more likely to be Scrophularia marilandica.

--

Jeff
Old 09-07-2013, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 18:54:54 +0100, "Nick"
wrote:

Growing at a neighbours property. About 2m tall with small red
flowers/florets.
She is a little concerned as to what it may be and I am not blessed with
green fingers.
Have posted a couple of (poor) pics he
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xqk9mxbpfne6ojj/v9PihDphfm

Haven't tried this before and don't know how/if it will work.

Thank you,

Nick.

Possibly Verbena bonariensis. It looks similar, but I'm not wholly
convinced it is. We have it in our garden and it does seed itself
everywhere. But an expert will be along shortly who really knows!

The leaves are very like it but not the flowers.. maybe some other
ind of verbena?

Janet
Old 10-07-2013, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick" wrote in message
Growing at a neighbours property. About 2m tall with small red
flowers/florets.
She is a little concerned as to what it may be and I am not blessed with
green fingers.
Have posted a couple of (poor) pics he
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xqk9mxbpfne6ojj/v9PihDphfm

Thanks to all for your knowledge, advice and wisdom.
I know it is bad form to reply to ones own post. Couldn't think of a better
way but probably better than creating a new post.
I've taken a few more pics today of flowers and foliage. Hopefully with
better focus.
Not only am I unblessed with green fingers, I am no David Bailey. Also a bit
tricky when the plant is waving around in the breeze. The plant is situated
in a sheltered easterly facing, dry, location.
Haven't measured it but reckon it's about 7ft.
Previous link should work, otherwise:

Old 10-07-2013, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/07/2013 18:20, Nick wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

Now clearly a Scrophularia. It doesn't jump out at me as being any of
the native species (though I am only familiar with S. nodosa and S.
auriculata) so I take Jeff's suggestion of S. marilandica seriously.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 10-07-2013, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/07/2013 18:20, Nick wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

If it is self-set then the botanists might be interested. You could put
the pictures up at www.ispot.co.uk.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley