Old 10-07-2013, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_6_] David Rance[_6_] is offline

Default Grapes

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 19:56:35 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 09/07/2013 14:22, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
I have just moved house and so all that is growing was left by the
previous occupant. One plant is a grapevine that started to grow a few
months ago. It is rooted outside and grows into the greenhouse. It now
covers one side of the greenhouse completely and most of the joining
sides. It has no sign of any developing fruit.

Am I being impatient?

Steve

Grape flowers are easily missed
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...3%20flowers/Gr
apeflowers01_zpsaa50ef74.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...3%20flowers/Gr
apeflowers02_zps36d7906e.jpg

Thanks but I can't see anything like those.

One of my helpers says another person she visits tells her that some
years grape vines do not flower. It's to do with annual trim back
based on the growth rate rather than the time of year. Sort of look
and feel!

It could be that the vine has not received regular pruning. Either no
pruning, or pruning after some years of neglect will cause this.

I inherited a red grape vine in France which my neighbour assured me was
a "fausse vigne" (he based this supposition on the fact that he'd never
seen fruit on it), but after a good prune the following year produced
fruit.

David