Old 09-07-2013, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grapes

I have just moved house and so all that is growing was left by the
previous occupant. One plant is a grapevine that started to grow a few
months ago. It is rooted outside and grows into the greenhouse. It now
covers one side of the greenhouse completely and most of the joining
sides. It has no sign of any developing fruit.

Am I being impatient?

Steve

Old 09-07-2013, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 14:22:15 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

I have just moved house and so all that is growing was left by the
previous occupant. One plant is a grapevine that started to grow a few
months ago. It is rooted outside and grows into the greenhouse. It now
covers one side of the greenhouse completely and most of the joining
sides. It has no sign of any developing fruit.

Am I being impatient?

Steve

Possibly not - there should be flowers showing by now I would have thought.

I would suggest a Google on pruning grapes to know how best to manage the
vine.

Roots outside, vine inside is a very good way to grow grapes.

Cheers

Dave R
Old 09-07-2013, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
I have just moved house and so all that is growing was left by the
previous occupant. One plant is a grapevine that started to grow a few
months ago. It is rooted outside and grows into the greenhouse. It now
covers one side of the greenhouse completely and most of the joining
sides. It has no sign of any developing fruit.

Am I being impatient?

Steve

Flowers are indeed late this year but not that late so there should be some
sign, they normally form within 3 or 4 leaves of the main trunk from where
the shoot is coming from.

Much will depend on the variety, its age, and what the previous owner did to
it last winter when it was pruned

What sort of thickness is the main trunk?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 09-07-2013, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
I have just moved house and so all that is growing was left by the
previous occupant. One plant is a grapevine that started to grow a few
months ago. It is rooted outside and grows into the greenhouse. It now
covers one side of the greenhouse completely and most of the joining
sides. It has no sign of any developing fruit.

Am I being impatient?

Our grapevines all have tiny fruits on them.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 14:09:41 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Roots outside, vine inside is a very good way to grow grapes.

It sure is. Great luck to move into a place with this already
established.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 09-07-2013, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2013 14:22, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
I have just moved house and so all that is growing was left by the
previous occupant. One plant is a grapevine that started to grow a few
months ago. It is rooted outside and grows into the greenhouse. It now
covers one side of the greenhouse completely and most of the joining
sides. It has no sign of any developing fruit.

Am I being impatient?

Steve

Grape flowers are easily missed
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psaa50ef74.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps36d7906e.jpg
Old 10-07-2013, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 19:56:35 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 09/07/2013 14:22, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
I have just moved house and so all that is growing was left by the
previous occupant. One plant is a grapevine that started to grow a few
months ago. It is rooted outside and grows into the greenhouse. It now
covers one side of the greenhouse completely and most of the joining
sides. It has no sign of any developing fruit.

Am I being impatient?

Steve

Grape flowers are easily missed
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psaa50ef74.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps36d7906e.jpg

Thanks but I can't see anything like those.

One of my helpers says another person she visits tells her that some
years grape vines do not flower. It's to do with annual trim back
based on the growth rate rather than the time of year. Sort of look
and feel!

Steve

Old 10-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_] View Post
I have just moved house and so all that is growing was left by the
previous occupant. One plant is a grapevine that started to grow a few
months ago. It is rooted outside and grows into the greenhouse. It now
covers one side of the greenhouse completely and most of the joining
sides. It has no sign of any developing fruit.

Am I being impatient?
The pruning is crucial. Grapes form only on the first two nodes of the new shoot coming out of the old wood, two bunches per shoot (though occasionally this isn't perfectly respected). So if you only have a small number of shoots coming out of the old wood, which have grown very long, as could well be the case by now as they can grow like wildfire, you will mostly have extended shoots which won't form any grapes. There could be a cuople of forming bunches back near the old wood, but it will be hard to spot them deeply in the foliage. What you need to do is to train the extended shoots into a good framework for next year. Though if it has never been properly trained it might take a couple of years to achieve that. The proper framework has the right amount of old wood, not too much, not too little. For example, my grape vine comes out of a plot at one end of a south-facing wall. The first year I trained a vertical upwards. The second year I trained 3 horizontals along wires along the wall. And the third year I extended those to the end of the wall. Everything else is cut off in winter. So I now have a shooting point about every 8 inches along about 10 feet of wall, in three rows, and each row is separated by about 2 feet to give plenty of room. Each shoot develops 2 bunches of grapes. Sometimes I get 2 shoots so sometimes there are 4. Then there is the summer pruning, each shoot is repeatedly shortened so it doesn't go much longer than the grapes, you don't want extended shoots unless you are training them for next year. All leaf no grapes not good for grapes. Later I will thin out the less promising bunches, probably by a good 50% or so, as far more bunches than the vine can properly ripen are now forming. And even later I will ensure the developing bunches are well exposed to teh sun to ripen them by quite harsh leaf pruning. My E-shape training is only one possible form, and is dicated because the vine is at the ned of the wall. And such a large vine would be a completely wrong approach for wine grapes. For wine I shold have had 5 vines in that space and pruned each much harder.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 09/07/2013 14:22, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
I have just moved house and so all that is growing was left by the
previous occupant. One plant is a grapevine that started to grow a few
months ago. It is rooted outside and grows into the greenhouse. It now
covers one side of the greenhouse completely and most of the joining
sides. It has no sign of any developing fruit.

Am I being impatient?

Steve

Grape flowers are easily missed
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...3%20flowers/Gr
apeflowers01_zpsaa50ef74.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...3%20flowers/Gr
apeflowers02_zps36d7906e.jpg

Thanks but I can't see anything like those.

One of my helpers says another person she visits tells her that some
years grape vines do not flower. It's to do with annual trim back
based on the growth rate rather than the time of year. Sort of look
and feel!

It could be that the vine has not received regular pruning. Either no
pruning, or pruning after some years of neglect will cause this.

I inherited a red grape vine in France which my neighbour assured me was
a "fausse vigne" (he based this supposition on the fact that he'd never
seen fruit on it), but after a good prune the following year produced
fruit.

David

more grapes vs better grapes [email protected][_2_] Gardening 4 08-07-2013 01:10 AM
Concord Grapes Gardening 0 11-04-2003 11:20 AM
Concord Grapes Warren Gardening 0 04-04-2003 06:08 PM
Seedless grapes David Hershey Plant Science 9 05-03-2003 01:27 AM
Grapes In Miami Dwayne Edible Gardening 1 21-02-2003 11:03 AM