Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Titchmarsh's mycorrhizal advice

In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:

You are right. From the Web site, it's hard to tell where on the snake
oil to miracle compound spectrum that is. They do say that mycorrhizal
fungi are host-specific, but don't give much of a clue as to which
plants would benefit, and their implication is that their mixture is
suitable for most plants. That sticks in my gullet from what I know
about mycorrhizal fungi. Also, some mycorrhizal fungi can be pathogenic
under some circumstances!

There is a lot of literature available with simple search of google
scholar, so if you're interested looking further than the Rootgrow web
site is probably a good idea. Rootgrow is, perhaps understandably, in
the business of selling a product, so caveat emptor applies accordingly.
It's certainly correct that not all treatments are appropriate for all
plants, which have broader or narrower specific symbioses; but of course
the Rootgrow people will be happier if they sell more, regardless of
whether your plants do better.

I would actually use a more professional search, but that's not the
point. The question isn't whether mycorrhizal treatments can be of
benefit, but the properties of the Rootgrow one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.