Old 11-07-2013, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Titchmarsh's mycorrhizal advice

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 10:04:59 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

Have you tried the stuff, Jeff?

No, but I've thought about it.

My main interest is greenhouse-grown Western Australian plants, and
those (particularly the Proteaceae) have very specific mycorrhizal
associations!

Interesting! Southwestern, or the real desert? It might not be easy to
get the right mycorrhizae, for sure.

They can take a very long time from seed to get going, although after a
few years they seem quite happy and flower well. I wonder if they
somehow adapt to our mycorrhizae?. I thought it quite interesting that

I don't think that's the way it works, there's a long period of
adaptation, surely over many generations at least. But plants can
function without myc and grow even in sterilised soil, although they may
not be at their best.

(according to FAQs at the Rootgrow website), ericaceous plants won't
benefit from Rootgrow. Maybe plants with very specific requirements
(acid pH/low calcium; low phosphate) need very specific mycorrhizae to
thrive. I see the FAQs say that Japanese Acers may benefit. I assume
you've found that as you are /The/. Acer man!

Heh. I don't have a patch on some people I know, who have collections
numbering in the thousands! But yes, Acers need various endo-myc, which
is found in Rootgrow. Also, they're not particularly acid dependent and
will do well even in slightly alkaline soil, with a few exceptions.

Maybe I should get some Rootgrow and try it - I've two or three Acer
palmatum cultivars to put in. Got a Pieris too, and even though
ericaceous, the FAQs say that should benefit. So perhaps it's time for
the taxonomists to reclassify it, methinks! ;-)

The palmatums will definitely appreciate the Rootgrow. As for taxonomy,
best I not get started. .

Meanwhile I'd better get out there and water, it is extremely dry and
many maples are starting to suffer.

cheers,

-E

--