Old 15-07-2013, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Radishes !

echinosum wrote:
I don't think anyone knows what is necessary to be able to grow unwoody
radishes that don't bolt. It seems you either have suitable ground for
growing radishes or you don't. And in my case a large amount of compost
added over the years to turn the ground into humus rich ground doesn't
see to be sufficient of change to get over this. Nor does the ideal
growing conditions of this year's wet spring.

how much clay does your soil contain?

even moisture may not be possible enough
for them in sandy loam, you may need to up
the clay percentage...

as for bolting, that's just what plants
do when they've got enough energy and the
day length is right for them.

pick them as early as they reach the size
you want to eat (3-5 cm across is about the
size for the common radishes i've seen).

Radishes are fairly promiscuous and will cross with other radishes, and
maybe with some other brassicas if they are closely enough related. So
if you want the seed you need to apply the appropriate pollination
hygiene arrangements to prevent cross-pollination. In my opinion,
that's what I pay seed companies to do. I'm told you can eat radish
seed pods, maybe that's the best thing to do. I just pulled mine all
out and chucked themon the compost heap.

all brassicas are promiscuous.

songbird