Old 15-07-2013, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Radishes !

I had forgotten all about them , as most have bolted and gone to seed -
which I plan to save , as these are heirlooms - until I was out on my daily
inspection tour . They were probably left too long , as thyey were kinda
tough and woody ... but they sure tasted good in our salad fordinner . So
did that home-grown 'mater !
--
Snag

Old 15-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Coombs View Post
I had forgotten all about them , as most have bolted and gone to seed -
which I plan to save , as these are heirlooms - until I was out on my daily
inspection tour . They were probably left too long , as thyey were kinda
tough and woody ... but they sure tasted good in our salad fordinner . So
did that home-grown 'mater !
If my experience is anything to go by, they were probably woody before they bolted.

I don't think anyone knows what is necessary to be able to grow unwoody radishes that don't bolt. It seems you either have suitable ground for growing radishes or you don't. And in my case a large amount of compost added over the years to turn the ground into humus rich ground doesn't see to be sufficient of change to get over this. Nor does the ideal growing conditions of this year's wet spring.

Radishes are fairly promiscuous and will cross with other radishes, and maybe with some other brassicas if they are closely enough related. So if you want the seed you need to apply the appropriate pollination hygiene arrangements to prevent cross-pollination. In my opinion, that's what I pay seed companies to do. I'm told you can eat radish seed pods, maybe that's the best thing to do. I just pulled mine all out and chucked themon the compost heap.
Old 15-07-2013, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

echinosum wrote:
I don't think anyone knows what is necessary to be able to grow unwoody
radishes that don't bolt. It seems you either have suitable ground for
growing radishes or you don't. And in my case a large amount of compost
added over the years to turn the ground into humus rich ground doesn't
see to be sufficient of change to get over this. Nor does the ideal
growing conditions of this year's wet spring.

how much clay does your soil contain?

even moisture may not be possible enough
for them in sandy loam, you may need to up
the clay percentage...

as for bolting, that's just what plants
do when they've got enough energy and the
day length is right for them.

pick them as early as they reach the size
you want to eat (3-5 cm across is about the
size for the common radishes i've seen).

Radishes are fairly promiscuous and will cross with other radishes, and
maybe with some other brassicas if they are closely enough related. So
if you want the seed you need to apply the appropriate pollination
hygiene arrangements to prevent cross-pollination. In my opinion,
that's what I pay seed companies to do. I'm told you can eat radish
seed pods, maybe that's the best thing to do. I just pulled mine all
out and chucked themon the compost heap.

all brassicas are promiscuous.

songbird
Old 15-07-2013, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

songbird wrote:
all brassicas are promiscuous.

whups! correction. some are, some are not.

confused by recent brocolli reading...

songbird
Old 16-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
how much clay does your soil contain?

even moisture may not be possible enough
for them in sandy loam, you may need to up
the clay percentage...

as for bolting, that's just what plants
do when they've got enough energy and the
day length is right for them.

pick them as early as they reach the size
you want to eat (3-5 cm across is about the
size for the common radishes i've seen).
OK thanks. My topsoil is sandy loam. I'll stop wasting my time.

I will of course quickly pull one out if there is any sign of it being big enough to eat, but it's already woody at 1cm across. 3cm would be a very rare monster in my garden.

Old 16-07-2013, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
songbird wrote:

songbird wrote:
all brassicas are promiscuous.

There goes my prurient interest, dang.

whups! correction. some are, some are not.

confused by recent brocolli reading...

songbird

--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 17-07-2013, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

echinosum wrote:
songbird Wrote:

how much clay does your soil contain?

even moisture may not be possible enough
for them in sandy loam, you may need to up
the clay percentage...

as for bolting, that's just what plants
do when they've got enough energy and the
day length is right for them.

pick them as early as they reach the size
you want to eat (3-5 cm across is about the
size for the common radishes i've seen).

OK thanks. My topsoil is sandy loam. I'll stop wasting my time.

considering how little area it takes to
grow these, adding 1-2 lbs of clay to 5 sq ft
would be an easy trial. often sold as kitty
litter (check the label).

I will of course quickly pull one out if there is any sign of it being
big enough to eat, but it's already woody at 1cm across. 3cm would be a
very rare monster in my garden.

as radishes are one of the easiest plants to
grow i'm very surprised by this.

you mentioned before adding a lot of organic
materials to the soil, you may be adding a lot
of carbon, but not enough nitrogen...

if you irrigate a lot the soil could be too
salty or it could be depleted of certain trace
minerals, phosphates or potassium.

i think you may be well served by a soil test.

songbird
Old 19-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
as radishes are one of the easiest plants to
grow i'm very surprised by this.

you mentioned before adding a lot of organic
materials to the soil, you may be adding a lot
of carbon, but not enough nitrogen...

if you irrigate a lot the soil could be too
salty or it could be depleted of certain trace
minerals, phosphates or potassium.

i think you may be well served by a soil test.
I've heard several leading gardeners say that radishes just won't grow for them, so I think they are easy if they like your soil and hard otherwise.

I hardly irrigated until the recent hot spell, as there was plenty of rain earlier in the spring; early irrigation was with stored rain water. I have chucked wood ash on (well before sowing) for the Ps. My compost heap gets plenty of grass clippings so should be reasonably nitrogenous. All my other vegetables are growing fast and lush, including my other brassiacs, and the peas are especially impressive this year. The garlics growing right next to the radishes have done very well.
Old 19-07-2013, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

echinosum wrote:
songbird Wrote:
as radishes are one of the easiest plants to
grow i'm very surprised by this.

you mentioned before adding a lot of organic
materials to the soil, you may be adding a lot
of carbon, but not enough nitrogen...

if you irrigate a lot the soil could be too
salty or it could be depleted of certain trace
minerals, phosphates or potassium.

i think you may be well served by a soil test.

I've heard several leading gardeners say that radishes just won't grow
for them, so I think they are easy if they like your soil and hard
otherwise.

I hardly irrigated until the recent hot spell, as there was plenty of
rain earlier in the spring;

yes, this is about how it has gone for me here
this season. plenty of rain from June up until
last week. some plants were not growing well
because of that lack of sunshine.

early irrigation was with stored rain water.
I have chucked wood ash on (well before sowing) for the Ps. My compost
heap gets plenty of grass clippings so should be reasonably nitrogenous.
All my other vegetables are growing fast and lush, including my other
brassiacs, and the peas are especially impressive this year. The
garlics growing right next to the radishes have done very well.

i was reading one of my references this morning to
see what it had to say about radishes because i was
curious if it said anything about plants being small
and woody.

these are other things from that reading:

- too much nitrogen (which would coincide with your
comment about plenty of grass clippings, hmm...)
try putting them in a spot where you've previously
had a heavy feeder like corn

- not planting early enough (they don't do as well
in hot weather) or perhaps not late enough (for
a fall crop)

- not thinning enough

- try different varieties (icicle was mentioned as
a little more heat tolerant)

songbird

radishes donald girod Lawns 0 14-07-2003 05:46 PM
radishes...storage, seeds.... Simon Stenkle Edible Gardening 1 08-07-2003 04:10 PM
What I've learnt about Radishes Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 27-04-2003 09:56 PM
Radishes Morgan Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Radishes - my Waterloo Polar Edible Gardening 7 25-03-2003 11:20 PM