Old 25-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Mike Bennett

Default [IBC] Super Thrive

I'm a scientist, so like Jim I tend to want to see real hard evidence before
I'm convinced of anything. I use Superthrive because it was recommended when
I started out and I haven't had the nerve to try repotting without.

Having said that, I am pretty convinced there is something to be said for
Superthrive, but not based on anything I've seen with my bonsai.

I had a rambling rose in the garden which for two years was a pitiful sight.
In a last ditch attempt to rescue it, I tipped a bucket of water containing
superthrive on it. Within a week it looked better than it ever had
before,within 3 weeks it was blooming beautifully. The plant prior to this
had produced buds but few opened.

I did the same with a sick looking pyracantha last year and got very similar
results.

Now this isn't a controlled experiment, but in the absence of real data,
observations made on individual subjects are often the only way we can come
to any sort of conclusion.

I've seen enough to make me feel there is something in there that works,
what it is or how it does it I have no idea, and I have no idea if this can
be transferred to the types of species often seen as bonsai.

Jim is correct that Vitamin B1 may harm trees, so can anything in the wrong
amounts, even water! However at the low levels used, who is to say what the
real effect is?

Regards

Mike Bennett. UK