Old 18-07-2013, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Recommend a new mower, please

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 17:48:47 +0100, Hugh Newbury
wrote:

On 17/07/13 17:04, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Hugh Newbury wrote:

On 17/07/13 15:11, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 17/07/2013 14:45, Hugh Newbury wrote:
I need a new walk-behind mower for my patch. What would the team
suggest? It doesn't need to be anything fancy, but I'd insist on good
engineering. Apart from that, nothing really. Don't need a cylinder (?)
mower, prefer a rotary one.

All ideas welcome.

What is the size of the patch? Is it level or sloped? Is it uneven or
smooth?

3 separate bits, all level and smooth. Total perhaps 5 x 10 metres.

The Bosch Rotak 40, is currently a Which Best Buy

Chris, thanks for that. I'm not sure it would be right. Some of the bits
are rather far from the house. But it's a good price certainly, even
with extra cable. I'll think about it.

Hugh

The Rotak range is available as a Cordless type, I have one and it
does cope with a reasonable size lawn with sensibly long grass
sometimes not fully dry and abuse such using as a shredder on piles of
leaves and twigs.
The price for a such a cordless that actually works is high and they
are often about double what a mains one costs.
For me it was worth paying the premium as
A. I detest cords trailing about, modern ones are electrically safe
but they still catch on shrubs and damage plants etc
B. Don't want to store petrol in a can ,the car is diesel so we never
need Petrol.

G.Harman