Old 19-07-2013, 01:30 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
as radishes are one of the easiest plants to
grow i'm very surprised by this.

you mentioned before adding a lot of organic
materials to the soil, you may be adding a lot
of carbon, but not enough nitrogen...

if you irrigate a lot the soil could be too
salty or it could be depleted of certain trace
minerals, phosphates or potassium.

i think you may be well served by a soil test.
I've heard several leading gardeners say that radishes just won't grow for them, so I think they are easy if they like your soil and hard otherwise.

I hardly irrigated until the recent hot spell, as there was plenty of rain earlier in the spring; early irrigation was with stored rain water. I have chucked wood ash on (well before sowing) for the Ps. My compost heap gets plenty of grass clippings so should be reasonably nitrogenous. All my other vegetables are growing fast and lush, including my other brassiacs, and the peas are especially impressive this year. The garlics growing right next to the radishes have done very well.