Old 23-07-2013, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Tomato foliage withering

In article ,
"Gus" wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
I put in several different varieties of tomato this year. Got a late start
so did not grow from seed; bought plants.

They started out like gangbusters; bore plenty of fruit. But foliage
began to look crappy and twisted (no critters; I checked), and plants have
now been almost denuded.

They have had food, water, and plenty of sunshine. So why?...

This is So Calif coastal.

TIA

HB

Mine look the same this year.

If too hot, you may try giving them some partial shade, and a spritzing
or 2 during the heat of the day. That may come back to bite you as
mildew later, though.

Talk to someone in your area. As Susan N, "The Cook" says, find your
local ag. extention office.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

I think it has been the weather here, as
Billy said they like heat. Are they not native to Mexico?

The wild tomato species are native to western South America from Ecuador
south to northern Chile and the Galapagos Islands.

They like heat but 80F is probably optimum. They will start exhibiting
problems when morning temps are in the 90s, or night time below 45F.

My niece's and
father's plants here look the same strangly not very lush... Hopefully they
will rebound for the second half of the season.

This is agriculture, not science. Do every thing right, and hope for the
best. Too little, too much, wrong time, or der Zorn Gottes, and you're
toast.

My cucumber plants have been growing like zucchini though. Got two last
week, and they were over a foot long! And were not seedy inside; they were
still filling out but I thought I better pick them.

They get bitter, if too large.

Good luck.
--
Palestinian Child Detained