Old 23-07-2013, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Know your Bonfire

As the bonfire thread has been taken over, I thought I would try to
enlighten some of you as to how you can be clobbered for having a 'bonfire'.
Let's hope that this one is not taken over by the 'get at Mike' brigade.

New people to gardening might like to check up on what and when they can
have a bonfire.

In your area there might be a bye law about having bonfires after a certain
time at night.

There might be no rules and regulations at all BUT, you can still be had by
your neighbours if you are a persistent 'bonfire maniac'.
If you have one of these in your area, keep a log, but here again, your
local council may only be interested in taking up your case of 'nuisance' if
the frequency is less than once a month.

Burning rubbish. Now this can be a downfall for you. I 'believe', (not
'sure' before someone has a go at me) that it is illegal to burn off cable
under the guise of a bonfire in your garden. No use starting your fire off
in the normal way, then stripping off that cable on 'your bonfire' :-(

Basically, a bonfire is OK with garden waste and as long as it is not too
frequent and not smoking anybody out during their BBQ

Let's see if we can keep this to bonfires for the benefit of the new
gardener.

Let's have some 'experiences' of bonfire problems and 'successful' bonfires.

Mike