Old 24-07-2013, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bert[_2_] Bert[_2_] is offline

Default Have Japanese Beetles learned stealth?

I know they're out there because they're making fine lace from the
leaves of our purple sand cherries, yet checking in the morning,
afternoon and early evening since late June I have yet to find any bugs.

Last year, my wife and I would spend quality time together picking them
off the plants and dropping them into mayonnaise jars with an inch of
soapy water. Over the summer, I'm sure we collected many hundreds of
them. So far this year, nothing.

On the other hand, our shrub roses and dwarf crab apple tree treated
with imidacloprid show absolutely no sign of damage from the critters,
although I have found 3 of 'em with their noses buried in rose blossoms
(the imidacloprid is only passed to the leaves, not to the blossoms).

--
St. Paul, MN