Old 24-07-2013, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Have Japanese Beetles learned stealth?

I know they're out there because they're making fine lace from the
leaves of our purple sand cherries, yet checking in the morning,
afternoon and early evening since late June I have yet to find any bugs.

Last year, my wife and I would spend quality time together picking them
off the plants and dropping them into mayonnaise jars with an inch of
soapy water. Over the summer, I'm sure we collected many hundreds of
them. So far this year, nothing.

On the other hand, our shrub roses and dwarf crab apple tree treated
with imidacloprid show absolutely no sign of damage from the critters,
although I have found 3 of 'em with their noses buried in rose blossoms
(the imidacloprid is only passed to the leaves, not to the blossoms).

--
St. Paul, MN
Old 25-07-2013, 12:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bert said:

I know they're out there because they're making fine lace from the
leaves of our purple sand cherries, yet checking in the morning,
afternoon and early evening since late June I have yet to find any bugs.

Last year, my wife and I would spend quality time together picking them
off the plants and dropping them into mayonnaise jars with an inch of
soapy water. Over the summer, I'm sure we collected many hundreds of
them. So far this year, nothing.

Well, you know what you are going to have to do, don't you?

Time for a midnight patrol to see what is eating the sand cherry leaves.
I suspect that Asiatic garden beetles, which feed at night, have taken over
from the Japanese beetles.

They've been speading steadily westward. I know this map is out of date,
because they have been present in Michigan for several years now.

http://bugs.osu.edu/bugdoc/Shetlar/f...rdenbeetle.htm

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 25-07-2013, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

In Pat
Kiewicz wrote:

Time for a midnight patrol to see what is eating the sand cherry
leaves. I suspect that Asiatic garden beetles, which feed at night,
have taken over from the Japanese beetles.

Oh goody.

--
St. Paul, MN