Old 27-07-2013, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gus[_2_] Gus[_2_] is offline

Default squirrels, again

Another young, green tomato on the deck yesterday morning. Not how I
like to start the day... I had been lax with the vinegar soaked rags.
Been raining a lot and that dilutes it. I will have to redouble my
efforts... Or, where do I get some Red-Tailed Hawks? (I don't think
coyotes or foxes exist where I live, in the city.)

"Ground Squirrels are active during the day and the nocturnal Barn Owl
will not help with a squirrel problem. However, in areas of infestation,
you can erect a substantial post of 20-25 feet in height to provide a
perch from which hawks will hunt during the day. Red-Tailed Hawks in
particular will hunt ground squirrels. If your vineyard is enclosed in
deer fencing, you may wish to cut several coyote sized holes in the
bottom of your fence to allow easy access for coyote, bobcat and fox.
These animals are very good at hunting ground squirrels and rabbits. If
you are concerned about these predators chewing drip lines, place a few
pans underneath your drip lines to collect water for their use during
the dry months."
http://www.hungryowl.org/services/vineyards.html