Old 27-07-2013, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default squirrels, again

Another young, green tomato on the deck yesterday morning. Not how I
like to start the day... I had been lax with the vinegar soaked rags.
Been raining a lot and that dilutes it. I will have to redouble my
efforts... Or, where do I get some Red-Tailed Hawks? (I don't think
coyotes or foxes exist where I live, in the city.)

"Ground Squirrels are active during the day and the nocturnal Barn Owl
will not help with a squirrel problem. However, in areas of infestation,
you can erect a substantial post of 20-25 feet in height to provide a
perch from which hawks will hunt during the day. Red-Tailed Hawks in
particular will hunt ground squirrels. If your vineyard is enclosed in
deer fencing, you may wish to cut several coyote sized holes in the
bottom of your fence to allow easy access for coyote, bobcat and fox.
These animals are very good at hunting ground squirrels and rabbits. If
you are concerned about these predators chewing drip lines, place a few
pans underneath your drip lines to collect water for their use during
the dry months."
http://www.hungryowl.org/services/vineyards.html

Old 27-07-2013, 02:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Gus" wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a lot of masturbation. Squirrels gotta live too.
Squirrels eat your tomatoes mainly for their water content. If you
put out a birdbath squirrels will much prefer that... keep it clean
and full... the best birdbath is the type that sits on the ground...
the least expensive one, holds the most water, easiest to clean, and
is the best configuration; a snow coaster, grandkids outgrew it..
http://i44.tinypic.com/8x8pza.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/293g585.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/dbjjns.jpg
Price doubled in ten years but still a bargain:
http://www.amazon.com/Paricon-Flying...ords=snow+disk
Also helps greatly to distract squirrels with food they prefer... I
feed the birds and put out in-shell peanuts too... squirrels prefer
peanuts to my vegetable garden. I buy bags of unsalted roasted
in-shell Hampton Farms peanuts at BJ's; five pounds/$6... a handful
each morning suffices. Bad enough you're a masturbator, I don't want
to hear you're a cheapo ******* too.
Old 27-07-2013, 02:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message
news
"Gus" wrote:

[...]

I am cheap, but no Carlos Danger. (The name generator said I should be:
Armando Dynamite.)
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...ny_weiner.html

They discourage birdbaths here, because of mosquitoes. I have heard
squirrels want tomatoes just for water, but how do you redirect the
squirrels to a water source away from tomatoes? They eat the young
green ones which can't be that good tasting? I don't think it's the
water. It has rained here a lot the last month. There should be plenty
of water sources. Maybe I will try leaving out water in an old cottage
cheese container as an experiment.

Squirrels are evil. I don't trust them. They can live, just not around
me. Round them up and send them to Australia or Antarctica. Or,
somewhere with lots of red-tail hawks.

I will try peanuts, but won't that just fatten them up? And attract
more of them. How much do you put out at a time? If too much, won't it
attract other things like opossums and raccoons?

Old 27-07-2013, 03:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 writes:

"Gus" wrote:

[...]

Hmm, that advice leaves something to be desired.
Are you seriously suggesting that feeding the squirrels will solve
the problem?

Any idea how many squirrels will be around after one year of free food?
How about 2 years?

I don't grow vegetables, it's hard enough keeping the deer away from
flowers, but if I lost my mind and tried, I'd be thinking fencing and netting.

--
Dan Espen
Old 27-07-2013, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Gus" writes:

I will try peanuts, but won't that just fatten them up? And attract
more of them. How much do you put out at a time? If too much, won't
it attract other things like opossums and raccoons?

Please don't feed wild animals, it's a very bad idea.

The fact that it won't help with your vegetable garden, but make the
problem worse is another issue.

--
Dan Espen

Old 27-07-2013, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"Gus" writes:

I will try peanuts, but won't that just fatten them up? And attract
more of them. How much do you put out at a time? If too much, won't
it attract other things like opossums and raccoons?

Please don't feed wild animals, it's a very bad idea.

The fact that it won't help with your vegetable garden, but make the
problem worse is another issue.

--
Dan Espen

I have heard of some people planting tomatoes, etc in another part of
their yard and leaving that for the squirrels etc. Is that so very
different? Though it just seems like a bad idea, and I would attract
more, and a larger population than there should be.

Old 27-07-2013, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Gus" writes:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"Gus" writes:

I will try peanuts, but won't that just fatten them up? And attract
more of them. How much do you put out at a time? If too much, won't
it attract other things like opossums and raccoons?

Please don't feed wild animals, it's a very bad idea.

The fact that it won't help with your vegetable garden, but make the
problem worse is another issue.

I have heard of some people planting tomatoes, etc in another part of
their yard and leaving that for the squirrels etc. Is that so very
different? Though it just seems like a bad idea, and I would attract
more, and a larger population than there should be.

Same basic idea.
Might work for a little while, but I doubt it.

--
Dan Espen
Old 27-07-2013, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/27/2013 8:32 AM, Gus wrote:
[...]

I've had problems this year and put out the old Havahart trap. Caught
and released 6 squirrels before I caught the real culprit, a raccoon who
now lives in a more affluent neighborhood.

I advise buying the biggest Havahart trap as the largest raccoons can
escape without it latching. Peanut butter is universal bait, I've
caught squirrels, raccoons and groundhogs with it - once even a bird and
a skunk.

Old 28-07-2013, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 15:32:04 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 7/27/2013 8:32 AM, Gus wrote:
[...]

I live on severl rual acres surrounded by thosands of rural acres...
there aren't enough hava-a-heart traps on the planet.
Old 28-07-2013, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 10:04:16 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

Brooklyn1 writes:

"Gus" wrote:

[...]

I've been putting out peanuts here for more than ten years and there
aren't more than 4-5 squirrels... the population doesn't grow because
wild critters are extremely territorial

I don't grow vegetables, it's hard enough keeping the deer away from
flowers, but if I lost my mind and tried, I'd be thinking fencing and netting.

There are lots of deer here, anything I don't want deer to eat I
fence.

Old 28-07-2013, 02:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
I advise buying the biggest Havahart trap as the largest raccoons can
escape without it latching. Peanut butter is universal bait, I've
caught squirrels, raccoons and groundhogs with it - once even a bird
and
a skunk.

I live on severl rual acres surrounded by thosands of rural acres...
there aren't enough hava-a-heart traps on the planet.

New ones will just move in... My NIL cousin has four acres in the
country and has killed 43 squirrels this year. They've gotten into his
wiring and caused lots of damage besides just stealing tomatoes.

Old 28-07-2013, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

I've been putting out peanuts here for more than ten years and there
aren't more than 4-5 squirrels... the population doesn't grow because
wild critters are extremely territorial

There was another half eaten young, green tomato on the railing out back
yesterday evening. I put out a couple little tubs of water this morning
and going to get some peanuts today. If they keep stealing the young
green tomatoes, I'm going to just pull off all there are and let them
ripen on the counter... Yesterday, it rained a fair amount and there
were puddles so I don't think the squirrel(s) are biting the tomatoes
for just the water, or maybe they are just lazy insensitive squirrels.

Where do you put your peanuts? Near the garden? Out by trees they live
in? Maybe I can put out peanuts with peanut butter with extra
butter--or better, trans fat margarine-- on the peanuts, and they will
get fat with clogged arteries and have heart attacks and fall out of the
trees.

Old 28-07-2013, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Gus" wrote:
"Brooklyn1" wrote:

I've been putting out peanuts here for more than ten years and there
aren't more than 4-5 squirrels... the population doesn't grow because
wild critters are extremely territorial

There was another half eaten young, green tomato on the railing out back
yesterday evening. I put out a couple little tubs of water this morning
and going to get some peanuts today. If they keep stealing the young
green tomatoes, I'm going to just pull off all there are and let them
ripen on the counter... Yesterday, it rained a fair amount and there
were puddles so I don't think the squirrel(s) are biting the tomatoes
for just the water, or maybe they are just lazy insensitive squirrels.

They may not be squirrels, other critters will eat tomatoes, field
mice and voles love them, so do chipmunks. Perhaps you need a couple
of cats... I have two ferral cats living in my barn and there are many
more around. The community of ferral cats patrol all night, other
than insects I get very little critter damage in my garden.

Where do you put your peanuts? Near the garden? Out by trees they live
in? Maybe I can put out peanuts with peanut butter with extra
butter--or better, trans fat margarine-- on the peanuts, and they will
get fat with clogged arteries and have heart attacks and fall out of the
trees.

My garden is about 200' from my house. Every morning I put a big
handful of peanuts out with the bird seed I put on the table on my
deck... I add seed all day but no more peanuts. The few squirrels
compete with the bluejays for peanuts, but I blend cracked corn 50/50
with bird seed and squirrels like corn too, corn is cheap, a 50 pound
sack/$12... premium bird seed costs $40/40 lbs. I don't mind feeding
animals, I actually spend quite a bit on food for critters... that's
my charitable contribution... I'll never give a cent to charities for
people... I see way too many able bodied people paying for groceries
with food stamps, and then get into a Lexus. Food drives are also a
scam, the organizers skim off the good stuff for themselves and most
of what remains goes to lazy deadbeats who more than likely never
bother to cook those foods. Food stamps are an even bigger scam,
people lie to get them and then they get 75¢ on the dollar from small
grocery stores... flog food stamps into illegal drugs... yeah some
legitimately need a hot meal, let them visit soup kitchens... take all
you want, eat all you take. I'd rather feed a thousand squirrels than
one lazy scamming deadbeat.
http://i43.tinypic.com/e6shtu.jpg

Old 28-07-2013, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

On 7/27/2013 8:32 AM, Gus wrote:
[...]

I live in a semi-rural area too. Figure I just remove the creatures
that are bothering me and it will take a while for others to take their
place. Since my trapping venture over a week ago, I have not seen a
squirrel since.
Old 28-07-2013, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

They may not be squirrels, other critters will eat tomatoes, field
mice and voles love them, so do chipmunks. Perhaps you need a couple
of cats... I have two ferral cats living in my barn and there are many
more around. The community of ferral cats patrol all night, other
than insects I get very little critter damage in my garden.

I'm sure it's squirrels, at leastly a large majority. I saw a damn one
running down my driveway with a tomato in it's mouth. And the one-bite
remants of tomatoes are often during daylight and left where I know the
squirrel(s) traverse, such as on the old deck railing.

If I got a feral cat someone would probably steal it or adopt it. I see
a neighbor cat once in a while, passing through but rarely. There was
one coming to my porch and sleeping on my wicker chair cushion in the
afternoon. I started to put treats out for it to encourage it to come
by, but after a couple weeks it stopped and have never seen it again.
I hope a raccoon or dog did not get it; it's been a few months since I
last saw it. I suppose I could get a cat cheap at Animal Control that
has not been declawed and is okay outside?

My garden is about 200' from my house. Every morning I put a big
handful of peanuts out with the bird seed I put on the table on my
deck... I add seed all day but no more peanuts... I'll never give a
cent to charities for
people... I see way too many able bodied people paying for groceries
with food stamps, and then get into a Lexus...

I got some whole raw peanuts this morning and threw 7 out front. I
should go see if they are still there. It was $2.29 for a medium-ish
bag. Maybe I can find some bulk cheaper. I like peanuts myself, so
would wouldn't mind having some around... I deferred on bird seed. Had
a bag in my cart, but it seemed kind of pricey.

My ex gets food stamps, and she is poor. She has a decent car, but it
was some sort of deal with the first ex a few years ago. So she has a
decent 6 year old Jetta, but she can't afford gas or repairs for it and
is always driving on E. (How driving near E saves any money, I never
understood.)