Old 28-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Roger Cooper Roger Cooper is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Pinnell View Post
A friend told me recently that you shouldn't put banana skins into the
compost box, as they take many years to degrade. Was he correct
please? We've been including them for a long time and I'm sure we've
not seen any recognisable ex-bananas in our resultant compost.

[Compostible? Compostable? My OED doesn't tell me.]

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
You certainly aren't using the OED (abbreviation for the multi-volume Oxford English Dictionary), Terry. I have the online Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, which gives 'compostable', but doesn't recognize 'compostible'. You probably have one of the smaller Oxford dictionaries, such as the Concise. Hope that answers your question.

Roger Cooper