Old 11-07-2008, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Banana skins - compostible?

"Spider" wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
.. .
A friend told me recently that you shouldn't put banana skins into the
compost box, as they take many years to degrade. Was he correct
please? We've been including them for a long time and I'm sure we've
not seen any recognisable ex-bananas in our resultant compost.

[Compostible? Compostable? My OED doesn't tell me.]

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

It's compostable, Terry. Easy to remember: "able to compost".
Yes, of course you can compost bananas. I've been doing it for years and
never (in 27 years) had a problem. You can also bury them under flowering
trees or shrubs, as they're very high in potash.

If you want to worry that they've been sprayed with something noxious, then
the argument that they take a long time to break down negates itself, as the
noxious substance would also have degraded in that time. However, I find,
as you do, that there's so recognisable skin left after a normal (cold)
composting period.

Some people just need something to worry about. Somehow, composting and
neurosis don't fit together very well. Composters are, by nature,
down-to-earth people.

Spider

Many thanks for all the replies. Banana composting duly resumed!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old 11-07-2008, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 11, 4:07 pm, Zhang DaWei wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 05:38:37 -0700 (PDT), "Cat(h)"

wrote:
I haven't made bread in quite some time - more's the pity, as it is
quite lovely. I particularly like making Irish brown soda bread.

My biggest problem with home-made bread is that it is too nice, and
so, unless we exert even more willpower, we all end up eating more of
it. Some of us with profiles already like a beach ball because of
chronic illness issues cannot afford to put on even more weight. So,
to remove all chance of temptation, I tend to just make special bread
for special occasions.
--
Zhang Dawei: Stoke-on-Trent, UK. Please use the Reply-To
field. The email address given there is guaranteed to

Where have you been? Have you been ill, we haven't seen you here for
a while, welcome back.

Judith
Old 11-07-2008, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
On Jul 10, 5:59 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

A friend of mine is single with a very busy and largely unpredictable
life.

She slices a loaf, wraps a day's worth of slices in cling film and freezes
them. She then takes out what she needs and because it's such a small
amount
it thaws rapidly. That way she never wastes any.

Sometime a loaf lasts us - two old folk - three or four days but it's
never
thrown away, it's always edible. But I do make our bread :-)

Mary

Your friend and you are obviously far better organised than my other
half and I :-)
I haven't made bread in quite some time - more's the pity, as it is
quite lovely. I particularly like making Irish brown soda bread. As
soon as my new kitchen is in, I must go back to my old good habits.
And try to get a little more organised, and a little less wasteful :-)
Do mid-year resolutions count?

No idea, I don't make any resolutions.

I make bread because it's easier than buying it. And better. And less
expensive. And it needs less organising :-)

Mary

Cat(h)

Old 11-07-2008, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
[...]

Mary,

Could I trouble you for the recipe for the Irish bread? My mother used to
make it regularly, but I've never found the right recipe in the many books
of hand written ones she left... Maybe you've got it!

-E
Old 12-07-2008, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
[...]

I don't make soda bread, somone else mentioned it. We don't like it here.
Well, that is, none of the ones we've tried. I once (twenty years ago at
least) had a memorable meal at the Deer Park near Antrim, with sea food, the
wheaten soda bread there was excellent, never had any like it though.

Sorry,

Mary

-E

Old 12-07-2008, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
On Jul 10, 5:59 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

[]
I haven't made bread in quite some time - more's the pity, as it is
quite lovely. I particularly like making Irish brown soda bread. As
soon as my new kitchen is in, I must go back to my old good habits.

Mary,

Could I trouble you for the recipe for the Irish bread? My mother used to
make it regularly, but I've never found the right recipe in the many books
of hand written ones she left... Maybe you've got it!

I don't make soda bread, somone else mentioned it. We don't like it here.
Well, that is, none of the ones we've tried. I once (twenty years ago at
least) had a memorable meal at the Deer Park near Antrim, with sea food, the
wheaten soda bread there was excellent, never had any like it though.

Well, thanks for the note, and I tracked down the attribution. It was
Cat(h),
so, Cathy, may I trouble you for this recipe? My thanks in advance...

-E
Old 28-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Pinnell View Post
A friend told me recently that you shouldn't put banana skins into the
compost box, as they take many years to degrade. Was he correct
please? We've been including them for a long time and I'm sure we've
not seen any recognisable ex-bananas in our resultant compost.

[Compostible? Compostable? My OED doesn't tell me.]

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
You certainly aren't using the OED (abbreviation for the multi-volume Oxford English Dictionary), Terry. I have the online Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, which gives 'compostable', but doesn't recognize 'compostible'. You probably have one of the smaller Oxford dictionaries, such as the Concise. Hope that answers your question.

Roger Cooper