Old 29-07-2013, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
thescullster thescullster is offline

Default Can I Recover this Rose?

Hi all

I have a rose that was transplanted early this year (long story) to the
position shown on this photo http://a360.co/16t7tZS (please paste to
browser)

It is south facing, but not too exposed.

The picture isn't abundantly clear so I will try to describe.

There is a gnarled old stem to the left which appears dead and has white
licheny sort of stuff stuck to it.
There is a more recent, but fairly ailing stem about 1/2in diameter
curving to the right and then up, supporting the blooms that can be seen.
There are two new stems which have appeared just this year, supported by
the left and centre bamboo canes.

The new growth is coming from the base of the plant. I think the
original plant was a cutting, so I don't think the two new stems are
suckers.

Other than it being a climber I know nothing about the variety.
It does produce excellent blooms though.

The plant is of sentimental value as it was grown by my late grandfather.

So the question is, how do I treat it pruning etc from here on?
Also, anyone take a guess at variety?

The plant you see is 25 years old taken from a plant of probably similar
age.

If it can be nursed back to health, I would like to move the rose again.
How long should I give it to "recover" before attempting this?

Thanks in advance

Phil