Old 31-07-2013, 06:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Unknown herb

In article ,
echinosum wrote:

'Billy[_10_ Wrote:
;988654']Actually, I understand that caffein, and ginko (not together)
have shown
promise, at least with short term memory.

Use ginkgo biloba if your memory loss is due to age-related issues.
Simply forgetting where you ate dinner last night will probably be
better treated by other herbs. However, if documented memory loss is due

to age, ginkgo is the best herb to use.

Caffeine helps to keep you alert - can the effect be separated?

Ginkgo: Wikipedia sums up the evidence as follows.
"Nonetheless, a meta-analysis in 2012[49] reported zero effect sizes for
the impact of Ginkgo biloba on memory, attention and problem-solving in
healthy individuals."

"An editorial in The Lancet concluded ginkgo biloba does not prevent
dementia in elderly individuals with or without memory complaints or
cognitive impairment and is not effective for prevention of Alzheimer's
disease.[50]"

Nevertheless we can observe there are some interesting biochemical
effects from Ginkgo which indicate other routes for study.

The trouble is that medical studies can so easily be badly done that it
is very easy to find "some promise" results for a junk treatment in the
typical badly done study. And studies in complementary medicine are
usually in the badly done category. This is why Chinese studies of
traditional Chinese medicine always find it works, when properly
conducted studies always find it doesn't. For example, acupuncture has
now been thoroughly debunked.

Yet my HMO offers it, and it is paid for by Social Security.

Have a good life.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg