Old 29-07-2013, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Unknown herb

Can anyone identify this herb?

http://feed1.tinypic.com/rss.php?ua=8dn56Tbfe2FeWSpOc%2F5bZQ%3D%3D

I hope it is for memory.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 29-07-2013, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
Can anyone identify this herb?

http://feed1.tinypic.com/rss.php?ua=8dn56Tbfe2FeWSpOc%2F5bZQ%3D%3D

I hope it is for memory.

I haven't been taking any so I have forgotten what it is .....

Comfrey? It has crinkly leaves and pink/lavender flowers.

David

Old 29-07-2013, 05:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
Can anyone identify this herb?

http://feed1.tinypic.com/rss.php?ua=8dn56Tbfe2FeWSpOc%2F5bZQ%3D%3D

I hope it is for memory.

I haven't been taking any so I have forgotten what it is .....

Comfrey? It has crinkly leaves and pink/lavender flowers.

David

I am a silly bunt. I have half a dozen comfrey, and this is the only one
that is in flower. Thank you.

Old 29-07-2013, 07:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
Can anyone identify this herb?

http://feed1.tinypic.com/rss.php?ua=8dn56Tbfe2FeWSpOc%2F5bZQ%3D%3D

I hope it is for memory.

I haven't been taking any so I have forgotten what it is .....

Comfrey? It has crinkly leaves and pink/lavender flowers.

David

I am a silly bunt. I have half a dozen comfrey, and this is the only one
that is in flower. Thank you.

What do you use your comfrey for Billy? I know it's leaves are supposed to
be a compost accelerant and also that the roots can be used as a healing
compress, but all I ever seem to do with mine is to use the leaves as mulch.

Old 29-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_10_] View Post
I hope it is for memory.
I suppose you were probably joking that you have forgotten what it is. Nevertheless, answering the serious question, comfrey has various traditional usages (and not much use for any of them) but memory is not one of them. Moreover it is unlikely that taking any substance, man-made or botanical, will be of any specific use for improving your memory.
Old 29-07-2013, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , times says...
"phorbin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Billy wrote:
Can anyone identify this herb?

http://feed1.tinypic.com/rss.php?ua=8dn56Tbfe2FeWSpOc%2F5bZQ%3D%3D

I hope it is for memory.

I haven't been taking any so I have forgotten what it is .....

Comfrey? It has crinkly leaves and pink/lavender flowers.

David

It looks like a variety of comfrey to me too.

I can't see any pic. All I get is a string of computer gobbledegook like
this but it goes on for ages longer than the snippet below:
rss xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
xmlns:media="http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/"version="2.0"
channel
titleA User's tinypic most recent media in Garden 2013/title
description
A feed of A User's most recent media in Garden 2013
/description
link
http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=...c%2F5bZQ%3D%3D
/link
pubDateSun, 28 Jul 2013 18:09:00 MDT/pubDate
lastBuildDateSun, 28 Jul 2013 21:59:54 MDT/lastBuildDate
generatorTinypic Feed Generator Of Doom/generator
languageen-us/language
ttl60/ttl

I'm using firefox v 22 an old version of Zonealarm (my home's router has a
built in firewall so I use zonealarm to control program access) and the most
recent Avast antivirus prg.

It worked for me.

To start, it could be your browser iteration and/or its settings, or javascript
version, or something else interposing itself, maybe an antivirus, firewall, or
proxy.
Old 29-07-2013, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
Can anyone identify this herb?

http://feed1.tinypic.com/rss.php?ua=8dn56Tbfe2FeWSpOc%2F5bZQ%3D%3D

I hope it is for memory.

I haven't been taking any so I have forgotten what it is .....

Comfrey? It has crinkly leaves and pink/lavender flowers.

David

I am a silly bunt. I have half a dozen comfrey, and this is the only one
that is in flower. Thank you.

What do you use your comfrey for Billy? I know it's leaves are supposed to
be a compost accelerant and also that the roots can be used as a healing
compress, but all I ever seem to do with mine is to use the leaves as mulch.

I haven't used it, but it is for wounds, and I hope I won't need it, as
is the yarrow, which I haven't used either. What I have used is prunella
(very impressive for dropping blood pressure), dandelion to lower B.P.,
and put in salads, blueberry leaves for dropping blood sugar, and
hawthorn leaves for my ticky ticker. Some like echinacea, bergamot, and
borage I mostly grow for their flowers.

Old 29-07-2013, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
echinosum wrote:

'Billy[_10_ Wrote:
;988539']I hope it is for memory.

I suppose you were probably joking that you have forgotten what it is.
Nevertheless, answering the serious question, comfrey has various
traditional usages (and not much use for any of them) but memory is not
one of them. Moreover it is unlikely that taking any substance,
man-made or botanical, will be of any specific use for improving your
memory.

Actually, I understand that caffein, and ginko (not together) have shown
promise, at least with short term memory.

Use ginkgo biloba if your memory loss is due to age-related issues.
Simply forgetting where you ate dinner last night will probably be
better treated by other herbs. However, if documented memory loss is due
to age, ginkgo is the best herb to use.

Old 30-07-2013, 11:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

Thanks Billy.

Old 30-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_10_] View Post
Actually, I understand that caffein, and ginko (not together) have shown
promise, at least with short term memory.

Use ginkgo biloba if your memory loss is due to age-related issues.
Simply forgetting where you ate dinner last night will probably be
better treated by other herbs. However, if documented memory loss is due
to age, ginkgo is the best herb to use.
Caffeine helps to keep you alert - can the effect be separated?

Ginkgo: Wikipedia sums up the evidence as follows.
"Nonetheless, a meta-analysis in 2012[49] reported zero effect sizes for the impact of Ginkgo biloba on memory, attention and problem-solving in healthy individuals."

"An editorial in The Lancet concluded ginkgo biloba does not prevent dementia in elderly individuals with or without memory complaints or cognitive impairment and is not effective for prevention of Alzheimer's disease.[50]"

Nevertheless we can observe there are some interesting biochemical effects from Ginkgo which indicate other routes for study.

The trouble is that medical studies can so easily be badly done that it is very easy to find "some promise" results for a junk treatment in the typical badly done study. And studies in complementary medicine are usually in the badly done category. This is why Chinese studies of traditional Chinese medicine always find it works, when properly conducted studies always find it doesn't. For example, acupuncture has now been thoroughly debunked.
Old 31-07-2013, 06:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
echinosum wrote:

'Billy[_10_ Wrote:
;988654']Actually, I understand that caffein, and ginko (not together)
[...]

Yet my HMO offers it, and it is paid for by Social Security.

Have a good life.