Old 26-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default Butterfly Bush

From: (AnnaTle)
Date: Fri, Apr 25, 2003 1:21 PM
Thought some of you might be able to help with this. A friend of ours
has a
Butterfly Bush. She thinks its dying. The leaves are curled up and the
flowers look wilted. Any idea what this might be and what she can do for
it?
I've not seen it she was just describing it. We are in TN if that helps.

Butterfly Bush is the common name for Buddleia species. If this is what your
friend is growing, it's way too early for flowers in Tennessee. Is she
referring to a problem she had last year, perhaps? Buddleia does well when cut
back to about ten inches (or even less) in spring. There will be new growth
from the roots and flowers will bloom on new wood. I'd suggest that your
friend prune hers back now and let the plant put out strong new growth, rather
than try to nurse some ailing shoots (if that's what she has now). The shrub
needs good light and air circulation, and should be deep-watered now and in dry
periods. It's usually a very easy plant to grow, with few problems. Side
dressing with compost and a balanced granular fertilizer in spring couldn't
hurt.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa