Old 06-08-2013, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Quite possibly

the best BLT I've ever eaten . 4 slices of thick cut hickory cured bacon ,
a smattering of lettuce , and 2 half-inch thick slices of Big Boy tomato
still warm from the sun on whole wheat toast . Juice dripping from my chin
.... I love this garden . I'm getting so much more produce than I ever did
down in Memphis . Gotta find more neighbors that like cucumbers ... or start
looking for cars with unlocked doors . Also got to stay right on top of the
zukes , they grow so fast they're like 8" this morning and 14" by tomorrow
afternoon .
One thing I have noticed , stuff farther from the forest edge is doing
much better . I'll be moving the garden down a few feet next summer ...
unfortunately this`will take out about half of the wild blackberry patch ,
but it just wasn't that productive . And it's not like there aren't more ,
they're along the roadsides and in the power line easements too . That
ground will be much more productive under cultivation . I hope within 3
years to be supplying about 1/3 to 1/2 of our produce/veggies from the land
.. But I won't plant 4 hills of cukes again - unless we start pickling .
--
Snag