Old 06-08-2013, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Quite possibly

the best BLT I've ever eaten . 4 slices of thick cut hickory cured bacon ,
a smattering of lettuce , and 2 half-inch thick slices of Big Boy tomato
still warm from the sun on whole wheat toast . Juice dripping from my chin
.... I love this garden . I'm getting so much more produce than I ever did
down in Memphis . Gotta find more neighbors that like cucumbers ... or start
looking for cars with unlocked doors . Also got to stay right on top of the
zukes , they grow so fast they're like 8" this morning and 14" by tomorrow
afternoon .
One thing I have noticed , stuff farther from the forest edge is doing
much better . I'll be moving the garden down a few feet next summer ...
unfortunately this`will take out about half of the wild blackberry patch ,
but it just wasn't that productive . And it's not like there aren't more ,
they're along the roadsides and in the power line easements too . That
ground will be much more productive under cultivation . I hope within 3
years to be supplying about 1/3 to 1/2 of our produce/veggies from the land
.. But I won't plant 4 hills of cukes again - unless we start pickling .
--
Snag

Old 06-08-2013, 05:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:
the best BLT I've ever eaten . 4 slices of thick cut hickory cured
bacon , a smattering of lettuce , and 2 half-inch thick slices of Big
Boy tomato still warm from the sun on whole wheat toast . Juice
dripping from my chin ... I love this garden . I'm getting so much
more produce than I ever did down in Memphis . Gotta find more
neighbors that like cucumbers ... or start looking for cars with
unlocked doors . Also got to stay right on top of the zukes , they
grow so fast they're like 8" this morning and 14" by tomorrow
afternoon .

I have a friend who grows them commercially and he cuts twice a day at the
height of the season to get them at just the right size to be most
attractive.

One thing I have noticed , stuff farther from the forest
edge is doing much better . I'll be moving the garden down a few feet next
summer
... unfortunately this`will take out about half of the wild
blackberry patch , but it just wasn't that productive . And it's not
like there aren't more , they're along the roadsides and in the power
line easements too . That ground will be much more productive under
cultivation . I hope within 3 years to be supplying about 1/3 to 1/2
of our produce/veggies from the land . But I won't plant 4 hills of
cukes again - unless we start pickling .

Ha haa..... Everybody makes that mistake. For one family one is enough and
one for a spare if you are worried about accidents.