Old 28-02-2003, 04:15 PM
JMH

Default best way to water plants

Hi,

I would like to know what is the best way to water potted, water from the top
(i.e. not african violets, etc.) plants. I have a problem in that either the
soil stays too wet, or it dries out too much, both of which are hard on the
plants. Drainage is fine, humidity in my apartment varies.
I have watered with a can, most generally every other week. This tends to let
soils dry out, but generally stay a bit damp if I stick my finger down in the
soil. This causes the top of the soil to get weird though, it is almost hard,
and coated, not soft and slightly airy like below the surface. The plants
grow, some do better than others, but they stay alive. However, I dont thik
that my weatering schedule and plan is what is best for keeping plants
indoors.
I am thinking that I should water lightly every other week, and then spray
the plants and soil with a spray bottle every week, or every half week.
Is this a good routing for most plants that are kept inside?
Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks

JMH