Old 28-02-2003, 04:15 PM
JMH

Default best way to water plants

Hi,

I would like to know what is the best way to water potted, water from the top
(i.e. not african violets, etc.) plants. I have a problem in that either the
soil stays too wet, or it dries out too much, both of which are hard on the
plants. Drainage is fine, humidity in my apartment varies.
I have watered with a can, most generally every other week. This tends to let
soils dry out, but generally stay a bit damp if I stick my finger down in the
soil. This causes the top of the soil to get weird though, it is almost hard,
and coated, not soft and slightly airy like below the surface. The plants
grow, some do better than others, but they stay alive. However, I dont thik
that my weatering schedule and plan is what is best for keeping plants
indoors.
I am thinking that I should water lightly every other week, and then spray
the plants and soil with a spray bottle every week, or every half week.
Is this a good routing for most plants that are kept inside?
Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks

JMH
Old 28-02-2003, 04:51 PM
animaux

Watering plants is not done by a schedule. They require different rates of
watering based on their consumption and transpiration rate. For example: I
have not watered my cacti or succulents since last October. I water my Rex
begonia about twice a month, but the spathaphyllum need watering almost every
fourth day because they are very large. I have a whole house humidifier, but
you can easily increase humidity around the plants by placing several saucers of
pea gravel with water in it.

The soil you are using may have too much clay, which would form a crust. I
suggest you use a premium potting MIX which has no soil in it at all. I make my
own using peat moss, compost, granite sand, and Osmocote (a prill shaped, slow
release, synthetic fertilizer). I only use Osmocote on potted plants. To break
the tension of the soil surface, you can scratch it up with a fork before you
water so the water doesn't run off to the sides of the pot and out the bottom.

Believe it or not, Walmart makes a potting mix which is excellent and it already
has the Osmocote in it.

Less watering is better than over watering. The single most killer of house
plants is over watering. I always water from the top, unless, as you said, it
is an African violet (which I gave up on).

Victoria

Old 28-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Iris Cohen

I would like to know what is the best way to water potted (plants),

Water with a watering can, water from the top until it runs out the bottom,
then don't water again until it starts to dry out. Water African violets by
putting the spout between the leaves.

either the soil stays too wet, or it dries out too much,

If the soil stays too wet, repot in a more open mix, with added sand or
Perlite. If it dries out too much, you may need to repot in a bigger pot or
water more often.

This causes the top of the soil to get weird though, it is almost hard, and
coated, not soft and slightly airy like below the surface.

That is the fault of poor soil, not the watering method.
You can't water plants on a time schedule. You must water thoroughly. The
timing depends on the size & needs of the individual plant.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 28-02-2003, 06:27 PM
paghat

In article ,
(Iris Cohen) wrote:

I would like to know what is the best way to water potted (plants),

Water with a watering can, water from the top until it runs out the bottom,
then don't water again until it starts to dry out. Water African violets by
putting the spout between the leaves.

either the soil stays too wet, or it dries out too much,

If the soil stays too wet, repot in a more open mix, with added sand or
Perlite. If it dries out too much, you may need to repot in a bigger pot or
water more often.

Also, there are pots that just will never drain well. The type of pot
designed with its own "plate" worked into the design, & which drain
through a small hole at the side onto the "plate" lip, generally just
never drain well. A real hole should be drilled in the bottom of these
types of pots for adequate drainage, using a half-inch masonry bit.

-paghat the ratgirl

This causes the top of the soil to get weird though, it is almost hard, and
coated, not soft and slightly airy like below the surface.

That is the fault of poor soil, not the watering method.
You can't water plants on a time schedule. You must water thoroughly. The
timing depends on the size & needs of the individual plant.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 01-03-2003, 02:03 PM

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:51:00 GMT, animaux
wrote:
Less watering is better than over watering. The single most killer of house
plants is over watering. I always water from the top, unless, as you said, it
is an African violet (which I gave up on).

Victoria

How should one water an African violet?

I bought my first recently, and I've only been watering on top, taking
care not to wet the leaves. I bought it from Franks, and it came in
a plastic container with no holes in the bottom. Should it be
transplanted?

It seems to be thriving -- the flower stems are about 3" tall now.

Swyck
Old 01-03-2003, 09:15 PM
Trish K.

Yes it will most likely die without great drainage. Bottom watering is
best recommended because of some thoughts about the delicate nature of
the crown, but seeing as you can root them with a sneeze, I've never
bothered. Do wait for the top to be dry before watering. The can take
more sun (here in the north) then many people give them credit for,
but large eastern windows are best perhaps with summer dappling.
Fluorescent light is better then natural light for violets, one of the
oddities of nature (natural fluorescent or red blue mixed).

Old 01-03-2003, 09:27 PM
Iris Cohen

How should one water an African violet?
I bought it from Franks, and it came in a plastic container with no holes
in the bottom.

Unbelievable. Are you sure it isn't in a pot inside a cachepot? If it otherwise
doesn't need repotting, see if you can make holes in the bottom with a
soldering iron or a sharp tool.
I water African violets by putting the spout of the watering can between the
leaves.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:51 AM
Françoise

I bought a hydrometer for a few dollars and it is fantastic. I learn to k=
now my
plants this way without guessing. Some plants need to dry completely befo=
re
watering others like to stay a bit damp and do not like being too dry. I =
test my
plant and water only those who need to be watered.

Fran=E7oise.

Old 02-03-2003, 03:51 AM
Fleemo

My secret for healthy potted plants is not to simply water the plants
where they sit, but to take each plant to the kitchen sink and give it
a good soaking (if practical). I'll stream water in the pot until
it's about to overflow, let it drain, and repeat two or three times.
This helps flush the buildup of minerals out of the soil. Peace
Lillies are especially susceptible to salt build up in the soil, which
results in the leaf tips turning brown. Since I've been watering in
this way, my plants never get that burnt tip look.

It's important to add a good fertilizer once a month during the
growing season.

As for African Violets, those you want to water from the bottom, and
don't get the leaves wet. (Most fuzzy-leafed plants don't like
getting their foliage wet.) I have mine in self-watering pots which
keep them happy. I also add African Violet liquid fertilizer every
time I add water to the pot. African Violets like to be a bit root
bound, so they'll really put on a show once the roots get a little
crowded. A north window gives them good light. Don't set them in
direct sunlight. Pinch off faded flowers.

I usually pick a day of the week, like Wednesday, to water my plants.
Most of them do fine with a weekly watering, and picking a certain day
helps me to remember to do it. Some plants you may need to water more
often, some less. You'll get into the swing of it after a short time.

Good luck with 'em.

-Fleemo
Old 03-03-2003, 02:27 PM
harrison

I bought a water meter for my houseplants and was surprised to see what was
actually happening in pots I thought were wet or dry. It sounds as though
you may have a salts build-up on the top of your plant soil. You may want to
take off the top layer and replace it. Also another trick with indoor
plants is to pull them out of the pots to see what is happening with the
roots. If a potted plant is rootbound, watering it is difficult. Some of my
very large plants are turning into bonsai simply because I can only provide
so big a pot. Eugenia, zone 6, two towns west of Boston

Old 03-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Polar

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:20:35 -0600, "harrison"
wrote:

I bought a water meter for my houseplants and was surprised to see what was
actually happening in pots I thought were wet or dry. It sounds as though
you may have a salts build-up on the top of your plant soil. You may want to
take off the top layer and replace it. Also another trick with indoor
plants is to pull them out of the pots to see what is happening with the
roots. If a potted plant is rootbound, watering it is difficult. Some of my
very large plants are turning into bonsai simply because I can only provide
so big a pot. Eugenia, zone 6, two towns west of Boston

Haven't been following thread closely, so excuse if duplicate:

Spurred by "salts build-up" on previous message, would urge you
to catch as much rainwater as you can, to flush out the *&^^%$#*
in faucet water, especially if you can't put the plants outdoors in
the rain because of cold weather.

BIG difference between sky water and faucet water!

--
Polar