Old 11-08-2013, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pre-emergent

Higgs Boson wrote:

Still VERY confused. Directions on pe-emergent package say to apply
around/to? ESTABLISHED PLANTS. But I just put in a flat of Dymondia,
leaving the recommended spaces between plants to fill in. When can
these little guys be considered "established"??? If I want to
control putative weeds in between plants, don't I need to apply NOW
before weeds sprout? I.E., strew between plants. But are plants
"established"? Not nitpicking words; genuinely confused.

Help!

HB

The stuff works by interfering with the process of seed germination. So
'established' in this context means anything that is past that. It won't do
anything to plants in their normal lifecycle that are growing more leaves,
extending root systems etc. To work it needs to be present with the seeds
that you want to inhibit from germination at the time of germination. That
means if you apply it before they are germinating and it washes away then
you miss. If you apply it after they germinate you miss.