Old 24-07-2013, 05:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pre-emergent

I'm about to put in a flat of Dymondia, which I'm using on a seldom-used path to a side fence instead of stepping stones. I'm assured that after it takes hold and the individual parts merge, it's trouble & maintenance free.

Nursery guy was very emphatic that I put down "pre-emergent" whatchacallit AFTER the flat is in. Says I'll be sorry if I don't as weeds will (my term) overwhelm the ground cover.

I've never used this stuff, so nervous about putting it on top of the Dymondia.

Any experience out there?

This is So.Calif coastal

TIA

HB
Old 24-07-2013, 12:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson said:

I'm about to put in a flat of Dymondia, which I'm using on a seldom-used
path to a side fence instead of stepping stones. I'm assured that after it
takes hold and the individual parts merge, it's trouble & maintenance free.

Nursery guy was very emphatic that I put down "pre-emergent"
whatchacallit AFTER the flatis in. Says I'll be sorry if I don't as weeds will
(my term) overwhelm the ground cover.

I've never used this stuff, so nervous about putting it on top of the
Dymondia.

Any experience out there?

You put a pre-emergent on after you completly finish working the soil
and watering in your transplants because working the soil *after* using
a pre-emergent will negate its usefulness.

I don't use them myself, but was willing to advise my octagenarian
mother to use it in her (tiny) courtyard because hand weeding was
no longer a real option for her. And she has been very happy with
the results; her perennials are stronger than ever, and the few annuals
she puts in each year are fine. It was a far better option than giving
up her little garden entirely.

As for Dymondia, I couldn't turn up any warnings *against* using
a pre-emergent with it, but found plenty of recommendations *for*
doing so. You could go the chemical route (such as Pendulum (R))
or try something like Corn Gluten Meal.

You'll probably also have to consider repeating it at intervals until
the ground cover is very well established, especially if the soil
is ever disturbed by digging animals or such.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 11-08-2013, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:16:53 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
I'm about to put in a flat of Dymondia, which I'm using on a seldom-used path to a side fence instead of stepping stones. I'm assured that after it takes hold and the individual parts merge, it's trouble & maintenance free..

Nursery guy was very emphatic that I put down "pre-emergent" whatchacallit AFTER the flat is in. Says I'll be sorry if I don't as weeds will (my term) overwhelm the ground cover.

I've never used this stuff, so nervous about putting it on top of the Dymondia.

Any experience out there?

This is So.Calif coastal

TIA

HB

Still VERY confused. Directions on pe-emergent package say to apply around/to? ESTABLISHED PLANTS. But I just put in a flat of Dymondia, leaving the recommended spaces between plants to fill in. When can these little guys be considered "established"??? If I want to control putative weeds in between plants, don't I need to apply NOW before weeds sprout? I.E., strew between plants. But are plants "established"? Not nitpicking words; genuinely confused.

Help!

HB
Old 11-08-2013, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

Still VERY confused. Directions on pe-emergent package say to apply
around/to? ESTABLISHED PLANTS. But I just put in a flat of Dymondia,
leaving the recommended spaces between plants to fill in. When can
these little guys be considered "established"??? If I want to
control putative weeds in between plants, don't I need to apply NOW
before weeds sprout? I.E., strew between plants. But are plants
"established"? Not nitpicking words; genuinely confused.

Help!

HB

The stuff works by interfering with the process of seed germination. So
'established' in this context means anything that is past that. It won't do
anything to plants in their normal lifecycle that are growing more leaves,
extending root systems etc. To work it needs to be present with the seeds
that you want to inhibit from germination at the time of germination. That
means if you apply it before they are germinating and it washes away then
you miss. If you apply it after they germinate you miss.