Old 12-08-2013, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Political correctness gone mad

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:06:31 +0200, Martin wrote:

In The Netherlands there are many multinational companies and
International Organisations/Agencies, with staff who only work in NL for
comparatively short times. It's not unreasonable to expect the Dutch tax
people to answer phone calls made in English, especially as they do
answer calls, and provide forms, in Moroccan and Turkish etc.
They do/did provide a special office to help International
Agency/Organisation staff with tax problems.

Different situation. Professionally within large companies (and in the
major urban areas) the same is true. I did some work at Dassault for a
period in the 90s, even then all employees took English classes once per
week. A good friend taught these classes within companies for many
years. I've also observed that when there's a meeting with a third party
language, English is used, sometimes with amusing results...

Not the same as some English who come and stay entirely within the
anglophone community, or a guy I know that has to ask for help each time
he needs a plumber etc, he doesn't even know the most basic words after
10 years or so!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy