Old 12-08-2013, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Political correctness gone mad

On 2013-08-12 13:37:23 +0100, Phil Cook said:

On 12/08/2013 10:32, Sacha wrote:

My brief experience of the Netherlands was when I lived in Belgium for
a while. Everyone I encountered seemed to speak excellent English and
French!

Ihe best thing to do in Belgium is to speak English to save offending
the Flemmings or Walloons by speaking the wrong language. Of course in
restaurants and bars the universal sign language is well understood.
Making a book sign for "could I please have a menu?" and writing on
hand for "the bill please."

We didn't find either was offended if we spoke French, because we
weren't Belgian. One Fleming did say he wouldn't soil his mouth with
Walloon but not to us.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-08-2013, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:06:31 +0200, Martin wrote:

In The Netherlands there are many multinational companies and
International Organisations/Agencies, with staff who only work in NL for
comparatively short times. It's not unreasonable to expect the Dutch tax
people to answer phone calls made in English, especially as they do
answer calls, and provide forms, in Moroccan and Turkish etc.
They do/did provide a special office to help International
Agency/Organisation staff with tax problems.

Different situation. Professionally within large companies (and in the
major urban areas) the same is true. I did some work at Dassault for a
period in the 90s, even then all employees took English classes once per
week. A good friend taught these classes within companies for many
years. I've also observed that when there's a meeting with a third party
language, English is used, sometimes with amusing results...

Not the same as some English who come and stay entirely within the
anglophone community, or a guy I know that has to ask for help each time
he needs a plumber etc, he doesn't even know the most basic words after
10 years or so!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy