Old 12-08-2013, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Pick tomatoes green?

In article ,
Higgs Boson wrote:

On Monday, August 12, 2013 12:55:06 PM UTC-7, cassiope wrote:
On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:47:37 -0700, Higgs Boson wrote:

As posted earlier, my tomatoes this year are a disaster. Something got

in them, probably brought home from nursery. That's what I get for

buying plants instead of growing from seed. Fatal delay?

Question: If I pick the few remaining tomatoes green and let them ripen

on the windowsill, will they still turn up infected & inedible? Or does

the disease manifest itself only toward vine ripening time?

Any experience out there?

TIA

HB

Tomatoes picked wholly green generally don't ripen, at least not with any
real flavor.

If they've become at least somewhat pale green they may turn color
eventually, but

still will never achieve that fully vine-ripened flavor. This is, of
course, how

most grocery-store fruit are picked (before shipping & ethylene gassing).

Keeping your fruit physically separate reduces the likelihood of disease
transmission.

At garden year's end I simply put them on a sheet of newspaper, spaced
apart. Usually these last for ~2 months.

Sorry, don't understand. Could you explain.. you're putting picked fruit on
newspapers or...?

TIA

HB

He said that if the tomatoes were turning yellow, you have a chance at
shelf ripening them. A simpler approach would be to use them as you
would tomatillos.

Authentic Enchiladas Verdes
Ingredients
Recipe makes 4 servings

€ 2 bone-in chicken breast halves
€ 2 cups chicken broth
€ 1/4 white onion
€ 1 clove garlic
€ 2 teaspoons salt
€ 1 pound fresh tomatillos, husks removed
€ 5 serrano peppers
€ 1/4 white onion
€ 1 clove garlic
€ 1 pinch salt
€ 12 corn tortillas
€ 1/4 cup vegetable oil
€ 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
€ 1/2 white onion, chopped
€ 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions
1. In a saucepan, combine chicken breast with chicken broth, one
quarter onion, a clove of garlic, and 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil,
and then boil for 20 minutes. Reserve broth, set chicken aside to cool,
and discard onion and garlic. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken
with your hands.

2. Place tomatillos and serrano chiles in a pot with water, enough to
cover them. Bring to boil, and continue boiling until tomatillos turn a
different shade of green (from bright green to a dull, army green).
Strain tomatillos and chiles, and place in a blender with another
quarter piece of onion, 1 clove garlic, and a pinch of salt. Pour in
reserved chicken broth, so that liquid just covers the veggies in the
blender by about an inch. Blend all ingredients until they are
completely pureed. Pour salsa in a medium saucepan, and bring to a low
boil.

3. Pour oil in a frying pan, and allow to get very hot. Slightly fry
tortillas one by one in hot oil, setting each on a paper towel
afterwards to soak some of the oil. Finally, dip slightly fried
tortillas in low-boiling green salsa, until tortillas become soft again.
Place on plates, 3 per person.

4. Fill or top tortillas with shredded chicken, then extra green
sauce. Top with crumbled cheese, chopped onion, and chopped cilantro.

Es muy delicioso.

Serva con una ensalada verde y una buena cerveza.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie