Old 12-08-2013, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pick tomatoes green?

As posted earlier, my tomatoes this year are a disaster. Something got in them, probably brought home from nursery. That's what I get for buying plants instead of growing from seed. Fatal delay?

Question: If I pick the few remaining tomatoes green and let them ripen on the windowsill, will they still turn up infected & inedible? Or does the disease manifest itself only toward vine ripening time?

Any experience out there?

TIA

HB
Old 12-08-2013, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:47:37 -0700, Higgs Boson wrote:

As posted earlier, my tomatoes this year are a disaster. Something got
in them, probably brought home from nursery. That's what I get for
buying plants instead of growing from seed. Fatal delay?

Question: If I pick the few remaining tomatoes green and let them ripen
on the windowsill, will they still turn up infected & inedible? Or does
the disease manifest itself only toward vine ripening time?

Any experience out there?

TIA

HB

Tomatoes picked wholly green generally don't ripen, at least not with any real flavor.
If they've become at least somewhat pale green they may turn color eventually, but
still will never achieve that fully vine-ripened flavor. This is, of course, how
most grocery-store fruit are picked (before shipping & ethylene gassing).

Keeping your fruit physically separate reduces the likelihood of disease transmission.
At garden year's end I simply put them on a sheet of newspaper, spaced apart. Usually
these last for ~2 months.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, August 12, 2013 12:55:06 PM UTC-7, cassiope wrote:
[...]

Sorry, don't understand. Could you explain.. you're putting picked fruit on newspapers or...?

TIA

HB

Old 12-08-2013, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
As posted earlier, my tomatoes this year are a disaster. Something got in them, probably brought home from nursery. That's what I get for buying plants instead of growing from seed. Fatal delay?

Question: If I pick the few remaining tomatoes green and let them ripen on the windowsill, will they still turn up infected & inedible? Or does the disease manifest itself only toward vine ripening time?

Any experience out there?

TIA

HB

Most green tomatoes will ripen, (if they are far enough along they have
"jelly" in them) but the flavor will not be great -- still better than
most supermarket tomatoes, and OK for cooking.

What happens if you let them vine-ripen? Or are the vines dead?

Bob
Old 12-08-2013, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

He said that if the tomatoes were turning yellow, you have a chance at
shelf ripening them. A simpler approach would be to use them as you
would tomatillos.

Authentic Enchiladas Verdes
Ingredients
Recipe makes 4 servings

€ 2 bone-in chicken breast halves
€ 2 cups chicken broth
€ 1/4 white onion
€ 1 clove garlic
€ 2 teaspoons salt
€ 1 pound fresh tomatillos, husks removed
€ 5 serrano peppers
€ 1/4 white onion
€ 1 clove garlic
€ 1 pinch salt
€ 12 corn tortillas
€ 1/4 cup vegetable oil
€ 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
€ 1/2 white onion, chopped
€ 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions
1. In a saucepan, combine chicken breast with chicken broth, one
quarter onion, a clove of garlic, and 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil,
and then boil for 20 minutes. Reserve broth, set chicken aside to cool,
and discard onion and garlic. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken
with your hands.

2. Place tomatillos and serrano chiles in a pot with water, enough to
cover them. Bring to boil, and continue boiling until tomatillos turn a
different shade of green (from bright green to a dull, army green).
Strain tomatillos and chiles, and place in a blender with another
quarter piece of onion, 1 clove garlic, and a pinch of salt. Pour in
reserved chicken broth, so that liquid just covers the veggies in the
blender by about an inch. Blend all ingredients until they are
completely pureed. Pour salsa in a medium saucepan, and bring to a low
boil.

3. Pour oil in a frying pan, and allow to get very hot. Slightly fry
tortillas one by one in hot oil, setting each on a paper towel
afterwards to soak some of the oil. Finally, dip slightly fried
tortillas in low-boiling green salsa, until tortillas become soft again.
Place on plates, 3 per person.

4. Fill or top tortillas with shredded chicken, then extra green
sauce. Top with crumbled cheese, chopped onion, and chopped cilantro.

Es muy delicioso.

Serva con una ensalada verde y una buena cerveza.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
Sorry, don't understand. Could you explain.. you're putting picked fruit on newspapers or...?

spread out newspapers in a place where they won't be
disturbed (out of the direct sun and in a place that
doesn't get hot or frozen).

place the green tomatoes on the newspapers with some
space in between each fruit (so they don't touch).

eventually some of them will turn red. some will rot.
that's just how it goes.

we did this last season with quite a few tomatoes that
did not finish on the vine, but they came along eventually
and we still ate or canned them.

yes, the flavor is not as good as vine ripened, but it
is still acceptable and worth it instead of paying for
tomatoes.

the way the weather is going this season we might have
a garage full of them...

songbird
Old 12-08-2013, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 11:47:37 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

As posted earlier, my tomatoes this year are a disaster. Something got in them, probably brought home from nursery. That's what I get for buying plants instead of growing from seed. Fatal delay?

Question: If I pick the few remaining tomatoes green and let them ripen on the windowsill, will they still turn up infected & inedible? Or does the disease manifest itself only toward vine ripening time?

Any experience out there?

Lot's of recipes for fried green tomatoes... and pickled tomatoes are
heavenly.
Old 13-08-2013, 06:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Frank Miles wrote:

[...]

Our Quisling chemist(?), Ka-Boom, didn't mention that ripening bananas
give off ethelene gas, but then he doesn't know if benzene is a liquid
or not.

Keeping your fruit physically separate reduces the likelihood of disease
transmission.
At garden year's end I simply put them on a sheet of newspaper, spaced apart.
Usually
these last for ~2 months.

Again, if the tomatoes are starting to yellow, you have a chance of
ripening them.

I'd still recommend the enchiladas.

By 2040, "white' will b a minority in the United States, and Frank and
his bigoted friends will face the wrath of the majority.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/160373/de...se-republicans
-mostly-white.aspx
Democrats Racially Diverse; "Tea Baggers" Mostly White

Extinction isn't just for Dinosaurs anymore, join the entitled,
no-choice "White Whiners Party" on their Lemmings Run for Greed.

Tea, the new Kool Aid, isn't just for little girls with imaginary
friends.

Old 14-08-2013, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

"songbird" wrote in message
Higgs Boson wrote:
Sorry, don't understand. Could you explain.. you're putting picked
fruit on newspapers or...?

spread out newspapers in a place where they won't be
disturbed (out of the direct sun and in a place that
doesn't get hot or frozen).

place the green tomatoes on the newspapers with some
space in between each fruit (so they don't touch).

eventually some of them will turn red. some will rot.
that's just how it goes.

we did this last season with quite a few tomatoes that
did not finish on the vine, but they came along eventually
and we still ate or canned them.

yes, the flavor is not as good as vine ripened, but it
is still acceptable and worth it instead of paying for
tomatoes.

the way the weather is going this season we might have
a garage full of them...

songbird

This has been my experience, some turn red eventually a few get mushy
and rot... I've been putting them in a paper bag with a ripe tomato,
but it doesn't seem to really speed ripening up much. My dad used to
pick a bunch of green tomatoes in the fall before frost, and he would
have 2-3 dozen green ones in the basement which did not get much light.
Most of them turned red over a few weeks. I don't remember many bad
ones; he just laid them out without putting them in bags.

Old 14-08-2013, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:13:27 -0400, Gus wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message
Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

The ones that don't rot immediately were ones without bumps, bruises and
systemic infections.

Back when the USDA's tomato germplasm collection was held at the Ames PI station,
they would grow out some for increase every year. Most of the seed went back into
the germplasm collection, but they'd gather up a bunch of "perfect" tomatoes from the
plants and put them in a shed with long benches full of damp sand, and let them rot.
(yes, it stunk! such is the price of science! g) They'd note which ones rotted first,
second, last... and the lasts often went into the search for a long lived storage
tomato.

Kay

Old 14-08-2013, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

"songbird" wrote in message

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Fascinating! How long ago was this? Where can I read up about it?

TIA

HB

Old 15-08-2013, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 15:37:01 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson wrote:
Back when the USDA's tomato germplasm collection was held at the Ames PI station,
they would grow out some for increase every year. Most of the seed went back into
the germplasm collection, but they'd gather up a bunch of "perfect" tomatoes from the
plants and put them in a shed with long benches full of damp sand, and let them rot.
(yes, it stunk! such is the price of science! g) They'd note which ones rotted first,
second, last... and the lasts often went into the search for a long lived storage
tomato.

Fascinating! How long ago was this? Where can I read up about it?

Mid to late 80s -- I'd have to check my transcripts to see when I took Seed Production.
I wish I'd known about it when taking microbial ecology -- that sand would be fun to
analyze.

It's probably all recorded in the PI records for those accessions, but I don't know that
it's available online. Or you can try old reports of the North Central Regional Plant Introduction Station.

Kay