Old 12-08-2013, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Pick tomatoes green?

Higgs Boson wrote:
Sorry, don't understand. Could you explain.. you're putting picked fruit on newspapers or...?

spread out newspapers in a place where they won't be
disturbed (out of the direct sun and in a place that
doesn't get hot or frozen).

place the green tomatoes on the newspapers with some
space in between each fruit (so they don't touch).

eventually some of them will turn red. some will rot.
that's just how it goes.

we did this last season with quite a few tomatoes that
did not finish on the vine, but they came along eventually
and we still ate or canned them.

yes, the flavor is not as good as vine ripened, but it
is still acceptable and worth it instead of paying for
tomatoes.

the way the weather is going this season we might have
a garage full of them...

songbird