Old 14-08-2013, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Glasshouse clearance with a vengance

On 14/08/2013 19:03, Spider wrote:
On 14/08/2013 08:33, David Hill wrote:
On 13/08/2013 22:39, Spider wrote:
On 10/08/2013 18:13, David Hill wrote:
A couple of winters ago the snow brought down most of my 50ft 3 bay
glasshouse, and what with one thing and another I have been putting off
clearing the site.
Today I made a start, I have to get it cleared in the next week or
so as
I have a couple of smaller greenhouses coming and they are to go on
that
site.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psda7b2807.jpg

Taffy at an overcast side of Swansea Bay

Only just seen this. What an horrendous mess! I really don't envy you
that job. Just clearing the green overgrowth will be a mammoth task.

Since you've given us a 'before' pic, do give us an 'after' pic with the
site cleared ... and then another one with the new greenhouses in place.
Pretty please.

Getting there slowly, but the rain forecast today wont help.I cant say
that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. but at least now I
can see the tunnel.
As you say it's the over growth, Wild clematis, Jasminum beesianum, a
rambling rose and brambles, my hands are tender, and I feel kippered,
burning in an enclosed area the smoke was trapped several times and I
had no way out.
Once I had the first large burn I've tried to keep it to a smaller
ongoing fire to burn as I cut.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps5e60612b.jpg

The depth/thickness of the growth is making it a slow job, and having
glass mixed in means no power tools, it's all secateurs and pulling.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psa63f2718.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psed659d94.jpg

Thinking about the Jasmine, with plants selling at around $5.00 or more
I must have burned about £1,000's worth or more.
Taffy @ a damp side of Swansea Bay

Hope the rain stays off. Ours did; just getting a wee shower now.
Take care with all the glass around, and fire too.
Wishing you luck, from the dry end of south east England with a raindrop
on it :~).

That should have been plants selling for £5.00 or more Not Dollars.
As fore the rain. on and off all day, I just wish Sacha had been a
little more specific with her request for rain.
David @ a damp side of Swansea Bay