Old 15-08-2013, 10:19 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha View Post
I wonder how many of us have noticed that things have grown and
recovered from the cold spring but aren't flowering? Our Clematis
rehderiana was looking very sorry for itself but has put on new leaves
and grown quite a bit, too but we don't think it's going to flower this
year. I imagine it's taken all its strength just to survive and get new
leaves. The Rosa banksiae lutea tangled up with it did much the same.
It put out a few blooms very very late but obviously was conserving its
strength.
If anything, it's been the other way around here. It's been a fantastic year for flowers, and two water lilies that have sulked in the 6-year rainy season that we've just had flowered this year for the first time in about four years.

Up in the Dales it's been equally fantastic - a late start, but common spotted and heath spotted orchids in amazing profusion, and frog orchids all over the place.