Old 16-08-2013, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gogo[_3_] gogo[_3_] is offline

Default Growing but not flowering

On 15/08/2013 22:19, kay wrote:
Sacha;989949 Wrote:
I wonder how many of us have noticed that things have grown and
recovered from the cold spring but aren't flowering? Our Clematis
rehderiana was looking very sorry for itself but has put on new leaves
and grown quite a bit, too but we don't think it's going to flower this

year. I imagine it's taken all its strength just to survive and get new

leaves. The Rosa banksiae lutea tangled up with it did much the same.
It put out a few blooms very very late but obviously was conserving its

strength.

If anything, it's been the other way around here. It's been a fantastic
year for flowers, and two water lilies that have sulked in the 6-year
rainy season that we've just had flowered this year for the first time
in about four years.

Up in the Dales it's been equally fantastic - a late start, but common
spotted and heath spotted orchids in amazing profusion, and frog orchids
all over the place.

I would say I agree with kay. Up here in Edinburgh (where, of course,
winter has not been as cold as everywhere else, but we had the cold
spring), I had one of the best display for many plants.
Everything was of course a bit late, but I had wonderful bloom for
Clematis alpina in spring and now (small flowered - viticella type),
best ever display of Paeonies, Oriental Poppies, Pentstemons, Phlox.
The only think which seemed to follow your "growing but not flowering"
trend were the bearded irises.