Old 16-08-2013, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Growing but not flowering

On 2013-08-16 12:29:29 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme said:

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 16:03:47 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I wonder how many of us have noticed that things have grown and
recovered from the cold spring but aren't flowering? Our Clematis
rehderiana was looking very sorry for itself but has put on new leaves
and grown quite a bit, too but we don't think it's going to flower this
year. I imagine it's taken all its strength just to survive and get new
leaves. The Rosa banksiae lutea tangled up with it did much the same.
It put out a few blooms very very late but obviously was conserving its
strength.

Our Clematis 'Jackmanii' has been in full flower since July but none
of the others are anywhere near flowering. One that looks like
Clematis rehderiana was transplanted from our previous house has
survived the move and has grown a bit. It was Autumn when it flowered
last year.

Steve

C. rehderiana is an autumn flowerer, as Charlie said but it has put on
so little growth this year, that's what leads me to think it won't
flower. But live in hope! Usually by now, it's right up at the top of
our bedroom window but it's still hovering about much lower down. It
really did get a bashing, so I'm not surprised!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com