Old 16-08-2013, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Growing but not flowering

On 2013-08-16 10:40:00 +0100, Charlie Pridham said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
I wonder how many of us have noticed that things have grown and
recovered from the cold spring but aren't flowering? Our Clematis
rehderiana was looking very sorry for itself but has put on new leaves
and grown quite a bit, too but we don't think it's going to flower this
year. I imagine it's taken all its strength just to survive and get new
leaves. The Rosa banksiae lutea tangled up with it did much the same.
It put out a few blooms very very late but obviously was conserving its
strength.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I think the Clematis may yet surprise you, ours normally doesn't bud
until September but I will admit its behind where it normally would be
at this time of year.

I do hope so - that's a cheery thought. As you know, it's one of my
favourites and I look forward to it. I'll try to peer at it a bit more
closely but as it's right at the back of the border, it's quite
difficult! I'm also looking for one to go along the rope/chain on the
lawn but don't want a white one, as the rose on there is white. I'd
also like it to be late flowering. With luck, it will eventually meet
up with C. Luccombe Park, so the two colours shouldn't swear at each
other too much!

Haven't we been through this before a month or so back? Didn't you
mean C. " Lambton Park"?!

As to C. rehderiana, I put one in at our new place a couple of months
ago and it has done well, climbing up a rambler rose. I am hoping that
it will flower next month; if so, it will be the first time I have ever
got one to flower.

I don't know why that one won't stay in my head. Yes, sorry. No excuse
other than a bit of a stressy week! Our C. rehderiana is climbing up
the R. banksiae lutea and usually flowers really well and has a great
value in being on the late side, imo. The rose gives it a good strong
framework to clamber up and through.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com