Old 17-08-2013, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Is There A Way To Keep My Arborvitae From Growing To Large?

On Friday, August 16, 2013 3:08:23 PM UTC-7, rstarre wrote:
I would love to put Global Arborvitae in front of my home. The problem

is my picture window is only 22 inches above the ground. The ones I am

looking at grow to 3 ft high. There is a sidewalk that is 24 inches from

the house going past the front window to get to the side. If I plant

them in their original pot that I bought them in from Home Depot, will

that keep them from growing to the full 3 ft? Will they die if i plant

them in their original container?

Not knowing how big the original container is, I'd still venture that in the long run, the plants would be much happier in the ground. If you want to keep them from growing more than a certain height, all you have to do is prune them so they branch out laterally (to the side) rather than vertically (upward). If you do decide on lateral pruning, remember to leave enough space on each side so they won't be crowded.

But don't do ANY pruning until the poor things have become established and are putting out new growth!!!

Plenty of info on arbor vitae on-line to answer your questions. For example, just in case -- some people think they should fertilize upon transplanting. No, no, no! Give them a chance to get their root systems going before you give them a jolt of fertilizer.

BTW - what's actually wrong with having the plants showing a little through the picture window? Matter of taste, of course, but could be attractive.

HB

rstarre