Old 17-08-2013, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Is There A Way To Keep My Arborvitae From Growing To Large?

rstarre wrote:

I would love to put Global Arborvitae in front of my home. The problem
is my picture window is only 22 inches above the ground. The ones I am
looking at grow to 3 ft high. There is a sidewalk that is 24 inches from
the house going past the front window to get to the side. If I plant
them in their original pot that I bought them in from Home Depot

You bought them, above you say you're still looking.

, will
that keep them from growing to the full 3 ft? Will they die if i plant
them in their original container?

Globe (not global) arborvitae is very easy to keep sheared to your
desired height/width, they can be sheared to any shape you desire... I
used to have some I kept as perfect cubes. And there are many
varietals, there are dwarf versions too... not all are of the giant
type... I have two upright arborvitae that were about two feet tall
ten years ago, now are about six feet but only about two feet wide...
I could have kept them sheared much shorter but chose not (they are
very dense and home to several songbirds), I've never pruned them. I'd
definitely plant it in the ground. If they don't behave as you like
they are very inexpensive and no biggie to replace... I think juniper
makes for a better low growing hedge... of course I've no idea which
zone you're in.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/prune-g...rub-48331.html