Old 21-08-2013, 04:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default briggs engine oil seeping past piston

"courierdude" wrote in message

hi all, first post here and as lots of 1st time posters do, i come here
with a problem. sorry : (

i have fuel and a spark gettting to my etesia briggs quantum powered
mower though it will not start. i thought maybe i had sheared the
woodruff key so ive taken the fly wheel off and its fine. what i have
noticed is that oil is seeping past the piston rings though i am
thinking surely this would just make it run rough and not stop it from
starting completely...?

any ideas appreciated.

will definitely be back to talk plants later when i have resolved this
oily problem!

My son had a problem similar to this. I looked at it and the air filter had
saturated with oil and no air could get to the engine. Leave the filter
element out and see if the engine will start.
I don' t think the oil was getting past the piston as the engine only had
about 5 hours of run time. I think it was sucked in from the ventilation
tube from the crank case to the air inlet but could be wrong on this.