Old 26-08-2013, 01:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Newbie with couple of probs with new turf

Mike1975 said:

Anybody ?
Also I was told you could inject something like round up into the
centre
of the weed without it affecting the grass is this the case or will it
seep out through the roots into the soil and affect the grass many
thanks all for looking

It looks like you did not entirely kill off the weeds/weedy grasses
that were growing there before you laid the sod. One of the photos
show a resprouting weed pushing up the sod.

Hand-removal or spot application of a broad-leaf weed killer will
take care of the non-grassy weeds. The grassy weed is going to be
harder to control. You could try *carefully* wiping only the fast
growing weedy grass with an sponge brush dipped in Round-up.
Avoid getting any onto the desirable grass--Round-up will kill it, too.

If you ever take on a similar project again, I'd recommend getting
the weedy area into luxurious growth and hitting it with Round-up.
Rake it off, wait to see if any new growth shows, and hit it again.

*Then* add top soil/ till/level prior to laying sod.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored