Old 20-08-2013, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Maincrop spuds....

"David in Normandy" wrote in message ...

This particular one "got away" some weeks ago, so I'm letting it grow as
much as it wants out of curiosity. I tend to harvest the smaller marrows
later in the season to store over winter for use in soups, stews and to
make ginger, lemon and marrow jam (which is gorgeous).

This particular courgette plant was set where I used to have a compost heap
and it appears to adore the soil there. Much too rich for most other
plants.

You got me thinking now, about the richness of old compost soil. I had a
heap that stretched the whole width of the allotment.
The row of rhubarb adjoining the compost heap have grown really well:-

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...Rhubarb001.jpg

Where the heap once stood, I planted a row of Elderberry bushes, which are
struggling to produce flowers. This is their 3rd year, there has been few
flowers and no fruit. I'm wonder if the soil is too rich.