Old 21-08-2013, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Slugs

Martin wrote:

I hadn't realised that you had to keep spraying them around.
That must make it quite expensive.

Here are the instructions and FAQ for one brand:

http://nemaslug.co.uk/using-nemaslug
http://nemaslug.co.uk/nemaslug-faq

You should try to clear any debris, gravel, membrane, foliage or fallen leaves. Nemaslug needs to be applied directly to the soil. It will be absorbed into the ground much more readily if the soil is moist, so water first or wait for a damp day. Evaporation can also effect the application, so it is best to avoid very bright or windy conditions. If you do apply though foliage then wash the treatment from the foliage to the soil with extra applications of water.

Depending on soil and weather conditions a single treatment of Nemaslug will be effective for six weeks. It is a good idea to apply at the start and end of the season (March/April and October/November) to kill off early generations and those over-wintering for the following season. A full season's continuous treatment would take 6 x 6 weekly applications, that is 6 packs in total (depending on the area treated).

I bought one packet at Gardeners' World. I'm uncertain if it
worked, there were still plenty of slug trails around.

You have to get them to the soil, mulch is not good news.

There are limits on both storage time and temperature.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.