Old 22-08-2013, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Strawberry propagation

On 22/08/2013 09:35, Bertie Doe wrote:

"Derek" wrote in message
news
wrote:

Q1. When the plantlets have become established, should I leave them in
situ
to over-Winter or should they be transferred to the coldframe?

/I transfer them, that way the 'old' strawberry bed, gets a good clean
/up, they are 'heeled' into spare patch of ground, and let nature look
/after them :-)

Q2. Next year, will the parent plants still be capable of producing good
fruit (in the planter)

/Most strawberries fruit better in second year, as long as you have
/good size planters.

/Remove almost all the leaves from the 'old' plant now, lets the light
/onto the centre of the plant and produces a better crop next year.

Thanks Derek, I'll move them to the coldframe, once the offspring have
rooted into the 3" pots.
With a bit of luck, I should have enough to fill the planters next year.

Last month I topped up my stock with a 6 pack that Homebase were selling
off half price. I know it's late, but these are in flower, some have
already set. Would these six form fruit and runners for next month or
would it be best to remove the flowers and thus strengthen the plant?

If you want to strengthen the plant then remove the runners.