Old 01-09-2013, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_3_] David Rance[_3_] is offline

Default Processionary caterpillar

In message , David Rance
writes

I noticed a day or two ago that an oak sapling in my garden was looking
a bit threadbare. This morning I had a good look. The leaves at the top
had been eaten away and, round the trunk a little lower down, were a
couple of dozen caterpillars all huddled together. They were yellow and
black striped, rather like a wasp (which is what I thought they were at
distance!) and about an inch and a half long.

I googled for oak caterpillar and this came up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Processionary

The only difference is that they are the wrong colour!

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France